FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

WhistlingBadger

Professional Cat Herder
Retired Moderator ⚒️
Tank of the Month 🏆
Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
Hi, all. I'm designing a nano tank (probably won't do the build until next spring) based on a Sumatran rice paddy. I want to grow actual rice plants in the water, which will only be about 6" deep. So, I'll have several very tall plants growing out the top of the tank, which could indicate a lidless tank. But, I also want a breeding pair of Anabantoidei (either licorice gouramis or imbellis bettas), and of course labyrinth fish, especially their fry, need a lid to keep the air humid, especially here in Wyoming.

(I'm not too worried about jumping because I plan to have the sides of the tank about 3" higher than the water)

So, I might need a lid with holes in it for the rice to grow through. I don't know how to make something like that. Any ideas?

Foo The Flowerhorn makes their own lid on this one
Spose youd need to know exactly where the emerging plants will grow.. and be a dab hand with a dremmel!

You could get some thick Perspex, no less than 6mm, 8mm probably better as these can warp under heat if tank water and lights.

Simply drill holes with bore hole drill that’s meant for ceramics, drill slowly otherwise may melt Perspex around drill hole if too fast.

But of course knowing in advance where plants going to grow through will help a lot in positioning where to put holes on the lid.

All Foo The Flowerhorn's videos are wonderful. So calm and methodical. A far cry from the frantic and stressful havoc that my weekly maintenance consists of!

All Foo The Flowerhorn's videos are wonderful. So calm and methodical. A far cry from the frantic and stressful havoc that my weekly maintenance consists of!
If you want calming, try listening to Tidal Gardens, Than's voice is just very relaxing. I have him on when I am working on my tanks it counterbalances all my clattering around

Well, I plan on doing the rice plants about 8" apart. They plant them about a foot apart in real paddies, but I'm guessing mine will be a bit stunted by the shallow substrate. So, I could just cut 3" holes, centered every 8". That would still allow a lot of humidity to escape, but I think it would still allow a warm, humid layer that gouramis/bettas need.

Well, I plan on doing the rice plants about 8" apart. They plant them about a foot apart in real paddies, but I'm guessing mine will be a bit stunted by the shallow substrate. So, I could just cut 3" holes, centered every 8". That would still allow a lot of humidity to escape, but I think it would still allow a warm, humid layer that gouramis/bettas need.
(that's 20cm, 30cm, and 8cm, for those of you of the metric persuasion)

(that's 20cm, 30cm, and 8cm, for those of you of the metric persuasion)
7.62cm ;)

I started school first being taught imperial then the U.K. switched to metric.
Did apprenticeship plus 6yrs using metric.
Worked with two old boys using imperial for 5yrs.
Changed jobs using metric for 5yrs.
Changed jobs back with old boys STILL using imperial for 4yrs.
Old boys retired and I’ve been using metric ever since.
Dunno wether I’m coming or going tbh.

Still “think” in imperial. IE “he’s a big bloke, must be well over six foot” not “well over 1.8m or 180cms or 1800mms”*

*rounded out for convenience.....which is what you did actually....doh.

My wife is a math teacher, and the other day she was giving a friend a hard time for not using the metric system. Quoth said friend, "There are two kinds of countries in the world: Those that use the metric system, and those that have been to the moon."

My wife is a math teacher, and the other day she was giving a friend a hard time for not using the metric system. Quoth said friend, "There are two kinds of countries in the world: Those that use the metric system, and those that have been to the moon."
I on the other hand enjoy the archer (tv series) quote of

" Who uses metric?
Every single country on the planet apart from us, Liberia and Burma.
Wow really? because you never really think of those countries having their S*** together"

You could get some thick Perspex, no less than 6mm, 8mm probably better as these can warp under heat if tank water and lights.

Simply drill holes with bore hole drill that’s meant for ceramics, drill slowly otherwise may melt Perspex around drill hole if too fast.

You don't need any expensive supper strong plastic for the lid. Standard acrylic will work as long as it stays cool and is thick enough. Yes acrylic will warp you put something hot on it like a lamp. However if the lamp is 2 to 3 inches above the plastic lid it will stay cool. and won't warp.

You also want it thick enough to so gravity doesn't cause it to sag in the middle of a large tank. 1/4" thick sheet should work while 1/8" will work for smaller tanks.

Most reactions

trending

Back