Licorice gouramis, Sparkling/Croaking gouramis

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Elisabeth83

Fish Herder
Reaction score
These little fish fascinate me :) I've just discovered them and would love to get some. Does anyone here on the forum own/owned either of the two?

What are their personalities like? Do they like to be alone, pairs or in groups? I've got a 14 gallon take set up with 4 Day's Paradise fish in it. If I could I'd love to add a pair of licorice gouramis or some sparkling gouramis but I'm not sure if they will get along?

Hi :)

Considering the paradisefish you have can grow to just over 3", it's best not to add any more gouramies to the tank. A small schooling fish is probably a better choice. Maybe something like spotted rasboras or neon tetras.

As for the species you are interested in, if you ever get a larger tank, croaking gouramies would make a fine choice. They would do well as a trio - 1 male, 2 females - in a heavily planted 20 gallon along with the 4 paradisefish. Croakers get to just over 2" and are quite epaceful though the males can be a little aggressive towards each other.

Licorice gouramies stay small but are fragile. They are best kept alone or as pairs or trios in a heavily planted tank. The water quality must be excellent and their tankmates should not be anything too boisterous that will stress them. They are very closely related to the species of paradisefish you have. This could possibly make them more aggressive towards them and cause problems but, because of the size difference, it shouldn't be a serious issue. Still, you should keep them in a larger tank as they'd be over-crowded in the current set-up. They also generaly do best in a species tank with peaceful schooling tankmates or bottom-dwellers for company instead of other gouramies.

The sparkling gouramies are the best choice for a small tank as they only get to about an inch. However, because you already have 4 gouramies in just a 14 gallon, you are best off skipping these as well. They are more peaceful than either the croakers or the licorice gouramies and do well as a trio in a small heavily planted tank. If you decide to upgrade your tank at some point, maybe you'd like to put sparklers in the 14 gallon and move the paradisefish into a larger tank where you could combine them with croakers or whatever.

I should say that not adding any more gouramies is just my opinion. If you realy, realy want to, adding a trio of sparklers to your current tank should actualy be ok. Also, I'm assuming you only have the 4 fish you mentioned. If you have anything else, you don't have room for any more fish regardless of species.

Hi, Thanks for replying :D

I'll just leave the 4 paradise fish by themselves in the 14 gallon. I don't want to overcrowd the tank. I'd love to oneday get some sparkling gouramis or croaking grouamis. They are so beautiful!! I've got 6 tanks 1 is empty at the moment (another 14 gallon) so maybe some sparkling gouramis arn't too far away :p

Could I maybe keep some shrimps with the paradise fish?? Any you'd recomend?

The licorice gouramis are just jaw dropping but they seem fragile and I don't think I am up for them yet. I need a couple more years of experience ;)

You should be able to keep some shrimp. I love cherries personaly. They are a pretty bright red. There is a slight chance your paradisefish will try to eat them but, hopefuly, if the shrimp survive to grow to a descent size (or buy them at a descent size) they'll be fine. I think you should try it regardless though as the shrimps' bright color will realy compliment the lovely dayi and the shrimp should be able to make it provided there are enough hiding places in the tank. They preffer a planted tank as well.

Here's a good link about various shrimp: http://www.petshrimp.com/index.html

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back