Licence required?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

steveb87

Reaction score
I tried the other day to buy a box of fish from a local wholesale/importer to try to the get the price down on a group of expensive fish. I was going to spend in the region of £800 but was told I could not buy from them as I needed a licence? I've been keeping fish for 40 odd years so should know how to take care of them but to no avail. Has anyone else found this problem? I can't buy 12 fish from them but I could buy the same fish when they are in the shop?

Wholesalers usually only sell to trade and not the public, they aren't allowed to sell to the public unless they have appropriate licencing from the local authority to do so

They will have asked for your licence as a livestock supplier/shop, which as a private individual you would not have or need

Such a shame, just wanted to by pass the middle man and save a lot of £££. My friend used to own a pet shop but is retired now, would of been good to get him to order them for me. Thanks.

No problem

Can be quite a minefield when buying fish sometimes. I buy mine online and I only use two companies since they are reputable and tend to not over inflate prices. Aquatics To Your Door and Sims Tropical Fish. The latter has a rescue service too for unwanted/abused fish. If the fish you are after are quite unusual, they might be able to help you, both have websites etc and are very helpful where sourcing fish without breaking the bank are concerned.

i worked with a wholesaler, and when one of the local shops discovered I was getting fish direct, they went ballistic. I was able to smooth the waters by proving I worked there, but there is no quicker way for a wholesaler to lose business than by bypassing retail.

One of the local wholesalers will sell to the rest of the lower 48 in the US, but not the state they are located in.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back