Lets Play A Game!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

MisssMarie

Fish Addict
Reaction score
A bunch of snails came in on some plants and im trying to establish what they are! I have one that I think may be a trumpet snail. Most of the others have like a big air bubble in their shells. They're young. I've had them in a tank and been raising them. I'll post pics in like 30 minutes or less

The trumpet type one is blue? There's a dark brown one. One of the light orange color with the air bubble has dark brown spots.

My computer crashed so now I'm waiting for that. I have the pics on ohotobucket but i can't get the link... I can do it sometime in the Next 2 hours or so.

If you really want to see them before that, go to photobucket then Speedyheart then the album "snails"

PICTURES ARE FINALLY HERE!!

I have one of these spiraly, he's kind of blue but you can't really see it in the pic

d9d497c8.jpg

I have 10 of these light ones:

c02f3e79.jpg

I have 3 of these dark ones (the others are dark completely, not white/clear at the entrance)

b7c0323e.jpg

I have 12 of these spotted ones as well, they range from dark to light

98e6732d.jpg

All of their shells - excluding the spiral one - are identically shaped, so, maybe color variants?

PICTURES ARE FINALLY HERE!!

I have one of these spiraly, he's kind of blue but you can't really see it in the pic

d9d497c8.jpg

I have 10 of these light ones:

c02f3e79.jpg

I have 3 of these dark ones (the others are dark completely, not white/clear at the entrance)

b7c0323e.jpg

I have 12 of these spotted ones as well, they range from dark to light

98e6732d.jpg

All of their shells - excluding the spiral one - are identically shaped, so, maybe color variants?
1st pic is mts, second pic red ramshorn, 3rd pic brown ramshorn and 4th pic looks like a pond snail. I have all 4 in various tanks, the red ramshorn and pond snails I breed for my puffers :D

I thought it was a trumpet! But I googled them and got no records of blue ones haha! I'm glad to know what the heck I'm raising. Anything I should know? Are they big plant eaters? How big do they get??

They'll only eat dead parts of a plant and they don't get too big.I love watching my snails apart from the mts who seem to come out more when the lights are off!! I've just had my first baby explosion from my red ramshorns and can't get over how small the babies are :wub:

Oh good! Well, the mts is staying, and a pond snail and a ram shorn or two

I don't have any of the ramshorn snails but I do have a trumpet snail - it's just had a couple of babies. It's never touched my plants in the months that I've had it (it hitch-hiked in with a cory several months back now) It just spends it's days munching any algae it finds.

They are supposed to be good to have if you have a sand substrate as they help to agitate it :)

They look like your common grouping of pest snails to me. When they lay eggs and hatch you'll have a thousand of them. Before anyone pops in and says they don't get out of control unless you overfeed...thats bull.

I have a tank in the middle of a fishless cycle and there are hundreds of pest snails. Nothing for them to eat but they are there anyway.

Not worried about them overtaking a tank - got them in a bowl. A large bowl. Gonna keep a pond, the MTS, and maybe one other. I caught them before they entered the tank!

The first one is MTS, just about the only one worth keeping. IF the last one is a bladder snail, you can keep it also, it wont hurt much; but will breed like the the world is going to end.

MTS will be joining one of my bettas, one ramshorn may be joining the other, and a pond will head to my other males

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back