Let the cycle begin...

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

that's weird.

check your tap water for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate.

did you add any liquid filter bacteria to the tank?

that's weird.

check your tap water for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate.

did you add any liquid filter bacteria to the tank?
Agree that's very quick. Has your ammonia dropped?

Hard to work out but I think the ammonia is still at 4.0 ppm

The only other thing I’ve added to the tank is prime

I’m 2 weeks in

Cycling began

Day 1: 14th July - Fish food 6PM

Day 2: 15th July - Fish Food 6AM

Day 2: 15th July - 6ml Ammonia added 17:00PM

Day 3: 16th July - Ammonia 4.0 ppm

Day4: 17th July - Ammonia 4.0ppm, Nitrite 0.25ppm

Day 5: 18th July - NO TEST

Day 6: 19th July - NO TEST

Day 7: 20th July - Ammonia 4.0 ppm nitrite 0.25 ppm

Day 8: 21st July - Ammonia 4.0 ppm

Day 9: 22nd July - NO TEST

Day 10: 23rd July - NO TEST

Day 11: 24th July - Ammonia 4.0 ppm nitrite 2/5 ppm

Day 12: 25th July - NO TEST

Day 13: 26th July - NO TEST

Day 14: 27th July - Ammonia 0.25ppm - Added 4.9ml Ammonia

Slowly getting there I guess... So getting bored of looking at an empty tank lol

... So getting bored of looking at an empty tank lol
That's why people do fish in cycles :)

On a plus side, if you get another tank, you won't have to cycle it. You can simply take half the filter media from the established tank and use it in the new tank for an instant cycled aquarium. :)

On a plus side, if you get another tank, you won't have to cycle it. You can simply take half the filter media from the established tank and use it in the new tank for an instant cycled aquarium. :)
Have you had success doing that? I’m getting a 65 tomorrow (couldn’t pass up on the price) and have always just waited impatiently for past tanks to cycle.

I did it all the time. I just had extra sponges in all filters and I had a few tanks with 2 or 3 filters in. Then I simply grab a filter or a sponge from an established filter and set up a new tank.

Just set the new tank up with water, gravel, plants, ornaments, etc. Add dechlorinator and let it run/ aerate for 24 hours. Then add the established filter sponge and fish.

Day 16: 29th July
Ammonia 1.0ppm
Nitrite 2.0ppm
Nitrate 0ppm

I added more ammonia only yesterday....

Nearly there :).
Has your new tank arrived? In addition to what Colin said get it planted up now and let the plants start growing. Once the plants are actively growing (i.e. you see new growth) you will be fine to add fish if you move over some of the filter material. Don't add ammonia to this tank because the amounts you use for a fishless cycle will kill your plants.

Thanks Seangee. I pick up the tank, stand, light, filter this evening. My sand I’ll be picking up tomorrow. Plants will be here in a few days. I live out in the middle of nowhere so takes a while to get things here/I have to drive far. But I’m not in a huge hurry as I wasn’t planning on another tank just yet. Also still have to p/u a heater. At best it will be setup by this weekend (no fish). :)

I don’t do fish in cycles. I commend you for doing the fishless cycle. Many people do the fishless now.

Just a quick question how much longer have I got to go to finish my cycle roughly?

Again my ammonia as basically gone in 24hours
Nitrite is between 1/2
No Nitrate showing

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back