Leopard Danios Fin Flaring / Circling Each Other (Video)

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

davidjp1982

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have 4 Zebra Danios and 3 Leopard Danios in a Fish Pod 48 Litre aquarium - I've noticed that the two largest Leopards quite regularly "display" and flare their fins to each other whilst circling each other. Is this normal behavior? Mating? Or territorial perhaps? Ive made a video and you can see them do it a bit around the 40 second mark at the lower right corner of the tank. Has anyone else experienced this? Thanks for looking.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JhOHlb3guc

Ok thanks Mikey - they seem happy enough, as happy as a bunch of psychotic Danios can be I guess - just wanted to check :) Thanks for the reply.

i would say its a mating ritual , thats what my danios do
smile.png

Thanks for the responses. I can never decide whether they are happy playing and chasing each other around, or if this behavior is a result of being in a small tank and being overcrowded... I originally only got the 2 baby Zebras but decided to add the others to satisfy the shoaling instincts. Having read some more, which I realise I should have done BEFORE getting them, I now realise just how crazy the Danios are and how much space they really need. I'm not sure whether to return them to a store / give them away and have a rethink about what to stock the tank with. I would love to get a Cockatoo Cichlid to live with the Danios but think this would be pushing the limits of tank. Any thoughts?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back