Leopard Bushfish

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

PhatRam32

Reaction score
Just bought 2 of these fish from my local petsmart literally like 3 hours ago.  Wanted to ask a question about their swimming behavior.  One of the two seem to glide along the tank and swims rather haphazardly while the other one swims like a gourami of sorts.  What would be the warning signs to watch out for these fish? I do realize they are not traditional swimmers like other fish.

How big is the tank?
What are any other tankmates?

Two is a very bad number of Leopard Bushfish to have, like a few species this has high odds of a dominant bully that could result in death of the weaker one. These fish should be either kept as singletons or 3+ groups (a 4-footer could house 4 for life, especially if you get them all now as babies, adding new ones later is very risky).

Leopard Bushfish are far more active at dawn and dusk, when they will normally pootle around the tank (unless begging for food). The rest of the day they are quite sedatory and can hang out in all sorts of wierd and wonderful positions around bogwood and bushy plants.

Here are a few other factoids re Ctenopoma acutirostre from Badman's

This is one of the most unique fish I have ever kept as far as behavior is concerned. They will stake out a territory so caves and plenty of hiding places should be provided. They are active during both day and night and tend to be peaceful toward most other species of similar size. They do not get along well with one other unless there is lots of space and lots of different territory to claim. Also, species that look somewhat similar in color should be avoided as the leopard ctenopoma may see them as competition (i.e. certain species of cichlids that may have dark spots like keyhole cichlids). This fish will often "yawn" and the keeper can see the enormous mouth that this species possesses. It is no wonder that most small fish end up as snacks! They are very personable and will often swim to the front of the tank when there is activity in the room and they can be trained to feed from your hand with blood worms or pieces of earthworm.

Minimum of 50 gallons as this fish can grow to 6 inches or so.

This fish will eat anything that fits into its mouth and loves to stalk prey. The leopard ctenopoma can swallow fish up to nearly 1/3 of its size so tank mates should be chosen carefully. To take in food, this fish opens its mouth and sucks in swallowing the food whole. While hunting, it turns its body completely vertical and bends it caudal tail to resemble a leaf shape and to wait for an unsuspecting small fish to swim by. The ctenopoma will eat tropical flakes and small pieces of vegetables, but live or frozen foods should be provided as well as this fish prefers "meatier" foods.
from http://badmanstropicalfish.com/profiles/profile132.html

Thanks for the info! They are very interesting fish to watch!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back