Leopard Bush Fish

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

You misunderstood me - I'm not saying they are actualy hardier (I conceded that you are probably right in that respect). What I questioned was the idea that they did not have enough time to become resistant to disease - they certainly have had enough time even if they haven't actualy become more resistant. I was speaking hypotheticaly in terms of the time needed to become resistant to disease :)

Ah, I see. Sorry!

Cheers, Neale

You misunderstood me - I'm not saying they are actualy hardier (I conceded that you are probably right in that respect). What I questioned was the idea that they did not have enough time to become resistant to disease - they certainly have had enough time even if they haven't actualy become more resistant. I was speaking hypotheticaly in terms of the time needed to become resistant to disease :)

Thanks you two for your helpful insight!

I hadn't meant that the guppies would be a staple in Spot's diet, but more along the lines of a treat. But seeing as how that's not ideal, I will be giving the guppies a new home (friend seems to want them, yay) and Spot can stick to frozen food and flakes.

And yes, another question... Would Bolivian Rams be large enough that he won't eat them? Seeing as how they are the largest fish in the tank, they'll be the last I try to rehome (or do I need to rehome them at all?). They seem to me that they'd be large enough (and peaceful enough) that they could stay.

I think they'd be ok. If they were blue rams I'd be more worried but bolivians are quite robust. I have never tried this though so advice from someone who has would be more reliable.

my LFS had an obviously adult pair of what he called bolivians (i'd trust that ID, but i couldn't make it myself). they weren't huge, but they were large enough that i would be concerned about them being overly aggressive towards the Bush Fish. definitely large enough to escape being eaten. :nod:

if i were you, i'd keep the bolivans. you can just "wait and see" if any aggression starts up and then remove the culprit.

Reviving a slightly older topic, I saw some leopard ctenopoma at my local fish store and they have the little tag listing requirements. Their tag lists that these fish require aquarium salt (which I assume they mean marine salt). My question is this: Are they correct with this listing or is this possibly a different fish?

-Darke

They are incorrect and I can't think of what other species it could be. Maybe they confused it with a rift lake fish because it's African? Leopard ctenopomas live in relatively calm freshwater rivers. I can't think why they'd need salt :p

edit: Maybe you saw a scat?

edit again: http://badmanstropicalfish.com/roys/misc/scat.jpg pic of a scat :D

They are incorrect and I can't think of what other species it could be. Maybe they confused it with a rift lake fish because it's African? Leopard ctenopomas live in relatively calm freshwater rivers. I can't think why they'd need salt :p

edit: Maybe you saw a scat?

edit again: http://badmanstropicalfish.com/roys/misc/scat.jpg pic of a scat :D

Odd... The fish was clearly labeled African Spotted Leaffish (this was at a local PetSmart and from Internet research this fish is usually Ctenopoma acutirostre, but maybe I need to go back and see if they posted the genus & species), but it *was* in the same tank as some puffer fish, which are obviously brackish. They weren't Scats (as I've had some before), but maybe the store personnel thought they were scats? I'm tempted to buy one of them simply to get it out of that environment. It's a very lovely fish. I wonder if the added salt is harmful to them? If so I wonder how I would go about diplomatically telling the staff that they have their fish improperly housed.

-Darke

Whether it's harmful depends on the amount of salt. A little salt is rarely detrimental to your average freshwater fish and can even be beneficial - but brackish wouldn't be a good idea :p

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back