Lemon Tetras

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

lola_goldie

Reaction score
okies well i have a 30 gallon tank, with..
~ 5 flame tetras
~ 2 lemon tetras
~ 4 platy's
~ 2 albino cory's
elodea & blue stricta, 25 degrees
i know lemon tetras are supposed to be easy to get along with, good community fish, but my two keep chasing each other!
they dont nip, and dont chase any other fish, just each other
it looks like the way goldfish do their mating dance!
so are they mating?(im not sure if they're male opr female) playing? or being mean?

I have 4 black skirt tetras and they chase eachother all the time. I think they are mostly just having fun with each other. I know with my Tetras, they scatter thier eggs, so the females get really close to the male(side by side) and kinda wiggle. It's really cute when they do it. I'm sure your lemon tetras would have the same mating ritual, so if you see that you prob have a boy and girl:)

lemon tetras are schoaling fish. Often times when you get schoaling fish, but do not get enough for them to schoal (5+) you will usually end up with one of two results:
1) the fish will be super agressive/nippy to the other fish
2) the fish will fight each other constantly

I would recommend buying more lemon tetras. Three more should be enough. Also, just before you introduce them to your tank, rearrange your decor so that the original lemon tetras will not be too territorial. I had this problem with both my black skirt tetras and my silver tipped tetras. Another thing i tried, was isolating the more agressive tetra for a week or so in my quarantine tank, then reintroducing him into the main aquarium after the less agressive tetras had time to settle into the tank and claim territory of their own.

well thanx for the advice!
i think i will buy a few more lemon tetras...
they seem to be schooling with the flame tetras, so i wasnt going to worry, but i guess theres room for a few more, so i might as well get more : )

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back