Fishaholic
Reaction score
Common Name/s: Lemon Tetra

Scientific name: Hyphessobrycon Pulchripinnis

Other scientific names: None.

Family: Characidae.

Origin: South America, Amazon Basin

Maximum Size: Up to 2 inches.

Care: Keep in groups of 6+, preferably a planted tank, offering plenty of space for hiding AND free swimming. Water quality is not hugely important, hard water doesn't bother them particularly. Mine are kept in pH7, GH anything up to 15, KH 4.

Feeding: Will take flake. Bloodworm is good for variety. Unlike some tetras, Lemon tetras take catfish pellets from the floor of the aquarium, and will store them in their mouths, dissolving them! (I have day to day experience of this) which can make Corydoras hard to feed.

Sexing and Breeding: I am not aware of any visible difference between males and females.

Comments: I would recommend these fish to all owners of planted tanks (15 gallons or more). The fish may seem boring, but when kept well, their colours are extraordinary, and have a strong yellowy metallic sheen.

Lemon.jpg

Just to add on to this ....

Sexing and Breeding: The male has a more pointed dorsal fin and is more colorful than the female. The female is generally more "chubby" and round.
Even though it is said breeding is hard, my lemon tetras have given fry without me intending to. And back then there were only two.
If trying to breed, keep the lights on the dimmish side, good filtration, and make sure there's many plants with "fine" leaves.
The female can carry from 100-300 eggs. Most of them however, will be eaten instantly, and in the end about 5-10 will remain if lucky.
The fry will be very weak at first so it is best to seperate for a couple of days. Within a week they should be fine as they become sturdy. It is then ok to release them with the other fish, as long as they arent the size of the fish with the biggest mouth in the tank.

Also I will provide a picture when i get home in 7 days.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back