Legal to own Red Arowana in the U.K.

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Stan510

Fish Herder
Reaction score
The UK is part of CITES but on youtube "Micks fish" channel shows a bloke with 4-5 large Red Arowana swimming in a far overstocked aquarium. I did some reading and ..some strange law that if the fish are microchipped you can keep them. But,I would think that's for people who can show some reason to have them other than they look cool.
So no American importers seem to have that law?

On the good side? I'm past the monster fish stage. On the other hand if Red Arowana were given to me as "Mick' says he's gotten at least two that way?..I might still say no,but it would hurt.

Is there a difference between a red Arowana and any other Arowana. Because in NZ we have Arowana on sale everywhere

Arowana are for sale legally in the UK

Looking at those prices, here and there. You can see why people think the fish need protecting by the US legislation

They're legal in the UK as far as I'm aware. Mick's Fish is a good channel and I'm subscribed to him, but I can't stand how he just adds and adds and adds to every tank he can until they're bursting with fish.
Not much reason to own an arowana other than the aesthetic purposes, but at the same time, most fish aren't that useful unless you're breeding them. Wouldn't say no to an arowana if I had the right set up tbh, but don't have any real ambition to keep them in the mean time..

The UK is part of CITES but on youtube "Micks fish" channel shows a bloke with 4-5 large Red Arowana swimming in a far overstocked aquarium. I did some reading and ..some strange law that if the fish are microchipped you can keep them. But,I would think that's for people who can show some reason to have them other than they look cool.
So no American importers seem to have that law?
ive always wanted to keep an Arowana after watching videos about them on youtube. Thats my dream fish!

Most reactions

trending

Back