Left Over Food

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Hamsnacks

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Had a question regarding left over food.
How long does left over food take to produce ammonia?

With the introduction of Discus in the community tank I've been feeding twice a day and the issue is a lot of floating food ends up in the overflow box caught in the strainer or in the sump sitting on top of the filter floss.

I currently clean both out every Saturday, however should I be doing this every day instead?

Thanks

I initially would turn the pump off but it would end up causing the Herbie siphon to be off, but that was due to evaporation, so I'm currently working on that.

Uneaten fish food starts producing ammonia straight away, as soon as it's in the water.

If there is uneaten food you need to put less food in and put it at the end of the tank that is at the opposite end to the filter drain. Add a small amount of food and let them eat it. When it has all been eaten then put a little bit more in. Continue doing this until they are full, then remove uneaten food.

Keep it cleaned out. Learn your fishes eating habits and preferences. I just got some fish that seem to ignore floating food so I soak it in a spoon and let it sink. They scap it up immediately. Watch to see how much they eat and adjust accordingly. The best thing to do is watch your fish more than you fuss over them. They will teach you what they want.

Most reactions

Back