Leeches In Tank

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

orangefish

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Was changing my substrate large gravel substrate today when I noticed tiny little black 'leech-like' things in the bottom of my bucket after vacuuming. They are black, move like leeched, and about 0.5cm long. There were quite a few of them sticking to the bottom of the bucket after I emptied the water out. I know when I changed the substrate that I didn't manage to get rid of them. Also, when I tried to crush one, I split it in half, and both halfs started crawling along again!

I have had numerous problems in my tank for 6 months or so now, and have not been able to find out the cause of it. I have one platy that has been very lathargic for a couple of months now, and she has a small red sore on the top of her body. Also, most of my fish are flicking. Could the leeches be what's causing deaths of fish.

Also, how can I treat the leeches as I have only red of putting the fish in a salt bath when they are physically attactched to the fish- which I have not seen? I put some aquarium salt in my tank after the substrate change anyway in hope that it may affect the leeches.

Thanks for the help!

I recently purchsed some snails with leeches (I took them back as it wasn't worth the risk) BUT I also read online about the salt.

The guys in the shop also told us that salt baths normally do the trick.

If the leeches aren't attached to your fish I'd be tempted to put them in a strong salt solution to try and "get rid of them". If they are on your fish I suggest salt baths and if they are only on a few fish then quaranteen them and salt bath them.

Ok thanks, well I did put the salt in the end. Someone else suggested to me that it may be planarian worms? Thanks

Most reactions

Back