Led Vs T5? Lighting For New Project

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

smeggbert

Reaction score
Hi guys!

Ive recently purchased a second hand tank 30" x 15" x 12" and I'm going to attempt a low tech planted tank to grow moss, anubis, crypts etc.

I'm also on a budget, i've got an internal filter, pump etc, so it's just a case of lights, substrate and stocking of plants and fish (Rummy nose tetras/red cherries).

LED vs T5 - I've seen some dirt cheap LED's i'm sceptical that they are going to be up to the job, even for easy to keep plants. T5's are proven, but I'm also trying to keep running costs down and LED's are far more cost effective. Does anybody have any recommendations for a good LED setup?

Also, I need recomendations for a good substrate that isn't going to break the bank.

Thanks!

I put a few hints on substrates here some time ago. They're basically still valid points.

As for lighting, it really depends what you planned to spend. There are some reasonably priced LED rigs out there, and I've seen some DIY sets work with floodlight sets. You'll struggle to beat T5's on set up cost though. Things like the UP Aquapro probably feature on the lower cost end of commercial LED sets, there's a new version out now, but it doesn't have the features of the more expensive rigs, as you'd expect.

DrRob said:
I put a few hints on substrates here some time ago. They're basically still valid points.

Awesome thanks!

Budget is basically the cheapest way possible to get enough light to ensure plant growth

Then if initial outlay is the issue, you want a standard daylight T5, you can buy them online for about £4.

If you want to DIY, this fellow has many great vids, here is the one for LED lights:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QSxJymRBak

And yes you can use LEDs for plants, you need to get the right size LED and also have the right number of them.

I don't think i've got quite enough expertise to build my own, or tools for that matter, but I have seen that chaps videos before.

If I went for T5 - Would watt would I be looking for? Is 2-4w per gallon still the norm?

Depends a whole lot on what you're going for. 3W per gallon was regarded as a fair amount of light with T12's when the Watts per gallon rule was created. T5's are more energy efficient, so you get more light than you're expecting, so 4W would be a fine balance for CO2 and ferts to keep it from becoming an algae fest.

Personally I'm a big fan of keeping things simple and keeping the energy levels down unless you plan to do a lot of tinkering with the system and a lot of maintenance. Too much light is a common problem we see so you may want to go closer to 1-2W per gallon if you want to stay low tech. Of course there's always the option on some systems of raising the light, which helps a lot with controlling light intensity. Also deep tanks generally require higher power lights to get the light to the bottom if you want to punch through to lights at the lower level. As an example, my little Fluval Ebi, a 5 gallon tank, grew loads of algae with it's off the shelf 11W power compact, until the floating plants took off, and now it's an overgrown mess of plants that require weekly pruning to be able to see the shrimp in there.

Think a Hagen GLO double ballast is the best bet then.

Next question is how to mount them to a metal hood?

Anybody had any experience with these? http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hagen-Twin-Light-Electronic-Starter/dp/B0031J9G8Y

I've calculated my tank size to be around 20 uk gallons, so if I went 2watt per gallon, I'd require around 40watts. Closest I can get is 2x24w T5's.

This seems to be the cheapest way I can go about it, havent found any cheaper ballasts anywhere.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
smeggbert said:
Think a Hagen GLO double ballast is the best bet then.

Next question is how to mount them to a metal hood?

Depends on the metal hood. I suspect you mean the old classic consort hoods, they're a pain, but I've crammed double T5's into them before with a bit of simple drilling. Worth noting that it was far from low tech, becoming an algae fest at the touch of a button, the 2W per gallon was for old T12's, which don't put out as much light per Watt as the T5's will, so you're in high light territory with 48W of T5 on that tank. Go for a single ideally unless you're going to keep the photoperiod low and plan a good fertiliser/CO2 regime.

The other option is to go lidless if you can, and put a rig over the top. Sadly 30 inches appears to be the major gap in the market, they make lights by the dozen for 2 and 3 foot tanks, but the old 30 inchers are largely left out of the mix.

You might be able to cram this into the lid, but you may have some gaps as it's aimed at a 24 inch tank, but the price is good.

Yeah it's an old Clear Seal consort hood, Just can't figure out how I'm going to cram them in!

I considered going lidless (well - i got a quote from a local aquarium manufacturer for some glass sliding covers) - and I was going to use a light rig, but like you said, I can't find one that is designed for a 30" tank, it's a nightmare!

Did you mean to link something at the end of your post, or where you refering to the link I left?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back