LED tubes in T5 fitting

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

LCPete

Reaction score
Hi Iā€™ve got two Rio 400 tanks with T5 tubes ( I think they are T5 they are about 16mmdiameter )
They tubes are getting on a bit and need replacement and thought I may as well change to LED tubes because they are cheaper to run
Iā€™ve looked at getting new Jewel complete light units but they are really expensive at Ā£190 or so
Iā€™ve noticed that Arcadia and Aquarium Systems do LED tubes that fit into existing fittings and donā€™t need the old ballast removing like some do, which would be difficult as the Jewel units are sealed
Has anyone tried these tubes from Arcadia and Aquarium Systems ?

They are for low tech planted tanks with Java moss and Java fern but would like at least the same light level slightly more would be better

Never used them but I always heard good things about these when they first came out

It makes sense and I'm certain I'd go ahead with them if I was to make that decision.

Have you looked at the cost of retrofit tubes vs. new LED units?
It is possible that for a similar cost you might get additional features that are useful to you. (e.g. adjustable spectrum and light output, programmable night, day, sunrise/sunset cycle etc.)

I had nicrew led strip on my roma 240, it sat on a lip within the hood, so I could still have the hood/lid on the tank. Not sure if the rio are the same. I think @AquaBarb has jewel rios with led strips šŸ¤”

The nicrew units are great, lots of people on this forum with them

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B082CWFTFK/?tag=

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I had nicrew led strip on my roma 240, it sat on a lip within the hood, so I could still have the hood/lid on the tank. Not sure if the rio are the same. I think @AquaBarb has jewel rios with led strips šŸ¤”

I really like my NICREW RGB +W 24/7.

I have 2 - 36" units for my 72" (183 cm) tank. The only issue with them is that both units do not have the same RGB output at lower levels, not a huge deal. I also have to turn them down quite a bit (still experimenting with levels) to prevent BGA.

Have you looked at the cost of retrofit tubes vs. new LED units?
It is possible that for a similar cost you might get additional features that are useful to you. (e.g. adjustable spectrum and light output, programmable night, day, sunrise/sunset cycle etc.)
Thanks yes I have just realised that the retrofit tubes are very expensive was really surprised how much they are may well be better off starting with a new unit

I really like my NICREW RGB +W 24/7.

I have 2 - 36" units for my 72" (183 cm) tank. The only issue with them is that both units do not have the same RGB output at lower levels, not a huge deal. I also have to turn them down quite a bit (still experimenting with levels) to prevent BGA.

Thanks those Nicrew units look really good
I think that they will fit my Rio tanks ok will fit under lid

Yes my 450 has the multilux unit with leds which comes standard with the new models. My 180 just as T5's.

I used the retrofit blubs on my Roma 200. You have leddy like you suggested and Superfish retro also.

Talking about 60 pound per blub for a retrofit for a 5ft tank so maybe worth paying a little extra for a new unit

Yes my 450 has the multilux unit with leds which comes standard with the new models. My 180 just as T5's.

I used the retrofit blubs on my Roma 200. You have leddy like you suggested and Superfish retro also.

Talking about 60 pound per blub for a retrofit for a 5ft tank so maybe worth paying a little extra for a new unit
Thanks yes I think youā€™re right I may as well get a new unit also the light level will be controllable

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back