Led Semi-Hood Build Journal

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

SamB

Fishaholic
Reaction score
A while ago i tried my hand at glass cutting and tried to make a 9 gallon aquarium. the result was a 3 gallon cube aquarium at 9" by 9" by 9". I wanted to do as much of this tank as possible by myself and without buying anything. I reused an old heater suitable for 1-5 gallon tanks and make myself a glass filter (more info on all that and Sully the betta here

For the light fixture, I thought I would use an old LED light.. thing.. from a 1 gallon bowl I had when I first started. I cut some PVC pipe and slotted it all together and used suction cups to hold it to the tank. The thing is, that light is pathetic. It barely lights up the tank. So yesterday, I ordered 5m (600 individual leds) of waterproof RGB 5050 LEDs with their power supply and color changing remote (for 11.51 shipped! :D) from china along with 10 right angle connectors (so I dont have to weld anything..).

The plan is to make this design:

4pDR7TK.jpg

I've brought the wood panel I will be using home with me so that I have access to a jigsaw and will be cutting out the wood today. Looks like it will be some time before everything else will arrive, so I will have plenty of time to fiddle and make adjustments to the design / hood.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Also watching for the finished product here :)

Quick update on this - the wood has been banged together despite its objections (ended up using a stable gun to my dismay). It looks.. ok. Not quite how I want it so I will likely remake it in the future when I have a work bench. Until then.. it'll do. 

I've painted it with two layers of black paint and it's looking better. I will post a picture later. Just waiting on the lights to get here!

Quick mini update.. still waiting on leds.. hood is on the tank in the mean time so that I can raise the water level without risking Sully jumping out!

Hood build canceled due to death of tank occupant 

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back