Led or T5? In planted tank

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

james.dyer13

Reaction score
I've used leds in a 60L tank for a while really happy with them but I'm getting a tank which is 300L I can't decide on t5's or leds can anyone recommend some grow light leds thanks here's my tank at the moment
47809a61795dc22a91b6f369cb84de9f.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

It really comes down to price. LED and T5's are both very capable
For growing plants T5's are still
Used in the reef hobby if that gives you an Idea of things, Good LED's are a fortune whilst T5's are rational about. I consider LED's to be more efficient, they put out zero heat, and they use less energy. Plants just seem to thrive under LED's I my self use LED's, I made the switch from fluorescent to LED and saw a big change in plant growth and color. I'd reccomend LED's

I personally use LEDS, and would love to venture into T5's but don't have the spare time and effort.
Both as previously said can be widely used to grow aquatic plants, low light or high light. Depends on yourself for the most part, personal interest and such. LED's can be customized as well as T5's (easier on T5's), IMO its mainly just a price and energy consuming difference.

It really comes down to price. LED and T5's are both very capable
For growing plants T5's are still
Used in the reef hobby if that gives you an Idea of things, Good LED's are a fortune whilst T5's are rational about. I consider LED's to be more efficient, they put out zero heat, and they use less energy. Plants just seem to thrive under LED's I my self use LED's, I made the switch from fluorescent to LED and saw a big change in plant growth and color. I'd reccomend LED's
Thanks for that what leds do you recommend?

Fluval has some
Good LED's that I plan to purchase, check out their selection

My personal favorite fluval LED is the Aquasky, use it on all my tanks.

If you can solder then I'd go LED all day long, you can build your own rig for a fraction of the cost of a shop bought piece of kit.

Is it the fluval fresh and planted 2.0.

If you can solder then I'd go LED all day long, you can build your own rig for a fraction of the cost of a shop bought piece of kit.
If you have by any means created your own LED its not cheaper, I made my own LED it cost 1500$ and the first week and a half it didn't work until I figured out I had missed a connection between two LEDS which cut off the circuit.
Fluval 2.0 I think would be TO much light for your tank, you can give it a shot but make sure there is a return policy on that baby. Its a great light though btw, fluval in the years within lighting have been taking a step up.

The parts cost barely £15, and I've had greater success with it than any shop bought fitting, not only that the colour temperature is aesthetically pleasing and the spectrum is ideal for plant growth.

It consisted of 6 x 3W high output LED's, a 24V transformer and a driver - all of which are easily sourced from eBay.

Links and pic of the finished product? and Par at how many inches?

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back