LED lighting recommendations

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to enter! šŸ†

nobo

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi,

Iā€™m looking for an LED light to go on an open-topped, 50cm long (x 30 wide x 30 high) 45 litre low-tech planted tank, which has a mister (so the light needs to be at least water resistant, ideally water proof).

I can control it with a (Alexa) smart plug if needs be, though the option of sunrise/sunset would be a bonus (my wood shrimp sometimes get spooked when light comes on quickly), but not essential.

I only have c. 4 cm above the aquarium to mount it, as it will sit in in an alcove.

Iā€™m growing frog bit on the surface, so an above surface light would be preferable, but given space constraints I might be looking at one of those submersible tube LEDs but mounted above the tank (I could use the suckers to stick it to the top of the alcove). So would something like this (https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07RY7237P/?tag=) or this (https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07NM8XJ2M/?tag=) work? Bit unsure since there doesnā€™t seem to be any detail on the kelvin rating (something around 6500k I gather is right for plant growth).

My understanding is:

• the NICREW Classic is unsuitable (not for use over open water)
  • the NICREW RGB Plus 24/7 automated one has a fixed schedule that ā€“ for my tank ā€“ would result in too much light/risk algae growth. (5-6 hours would be sufficient). Plus the NICREW ones wouldnā€™t quite fit on a 50cm tank (the sizes are up 55-78cm, which might work at a pinch with some lateral thinking for the mounting options; or 33-46cm (too small). Plus itā€™s ā€œrecommended for use over panel or glass-covered aquariumsā€, whereas this is uncovered.
Many thanks in advance!

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Have you looked at the Aquael Leddy Slim?

They say it's designed for open topped tanks, but I cannot find anywhere how far it goes above the tank.

The thing which puzzles me though is that the 6500K version does not have any red in its spectrum while the 8000K version does :unsure:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back