LED light recommendations

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Biglog

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have a 29 gallon tank that I’m adding plants to. It came with a 20W light but from what I was reading for the plants I need about 60-90 watts. I think my current bulb is heating up my tank so was looking to get a LED but am not sure what to go with as there are what seems like millions of different ones.

Hi! I highly recommend Nicrew lights. I personally have 2 Nicrew SkyLed Plus and they and they are great! Really affordable options too! I recommend purchasing through amazon if possible

Hygger are nice at a good price. They come with timer and day/night control. Great bridge from low cost systems to the expensive ones.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210418-203735_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20210418-203735_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 53
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B086SV999T/?tag=ff0d01-20
Is this the Hygger one you are talking about? Leaning towards that since it has the built in timer/controller
This one says it is waterproof which is a big plus, most LED light require a glass lid. Personally I don't like the LED lights exposed like shown below:
Best-LED-Aquarium-Lighting.png

Seeing the LED lights is a distraction., I just want the tank to be illuminated. So you may be able to install the LED lights inside your old fluorescent hood and you don't need a glass lid.

Mark

Does anyone know what the watt conversion is for those LEDs to fluorescent?
If you are thinking about watts per gallon, that doesn't work with LEDs. You need to look at the PAR rating - photosynthetically active radiation.

If they sell them in the US, one option is retrofit LEDs. These are tubes which have end caps shaped like fluorescent tubes (usually slide or clip on plastic) which enables them to fit into the fluorescent lamp holders. They don't use the power from the lamp holders as they have their own, but it means they can fit where the fluorescent tubes used to fit.

This one says it is waterproof which is a big plus, most LED light require a glass lid. Personally I don't like the LED lights exposed like shown below:
View attachment 134796
Seeing the LED lights is a distraction., I just want the tank to be illuminated. So you may be able to install the LED lights inside your old fluorescent hood and you don't need a glass lid.

Mark
Yes I planned on placing it on the glass part where my fluorescent hood goes.

If you are thinking about watts per gallon, that doesn't work with LEDs. You need to look at the PAR rating - photosynthetically active radiation.

If they sell them in the US, one option is retrofit LEDs. These are tubes which have end caps shaped like fluorescent tubes (usually slide or clip on plastic) which enables them to fit into the fluorescent lamp holders. They don't use the power from the lamp holders as they have their own, but it means they can fit where the fluorescent tubes used to fit.
I was actually looking at that first but the only ones I could find with the LED drivers built in so it could run off of the fluorescent ballast were for home fixtures and not aquarium lights

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back