Leaving Tank Light On All Week..

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Parasaurolophus

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
So I have to go round my dads for a week and my mum is on holiday so no one can look after the fish (fortunately my uncle feeds them and my bearded dragon daily) but the light has to be left on for the whole week? this won't have any negative affects on my fish will it? D;
I'm really worried..

I wouldn't recommend leaving the light on 24/7, but what you could do is pick up a cheap timer from a DIY store such as B&Q (I think they only cost around £3), and set it to turn the light on and off when needed, it's really simple and works a treat.

I'd leave the lights off and the fish unfed, personally.

I would have thought it would be far better to just leave the light off for a week, even if you have live plants. 24/7 lighting will prevent the plants from respiring, not to mention they will likely run out of macro/micro nutrients and carbon dioxide, while the body clock of your fish will no doubt become rather messy.

Will there be a bit of natural light coming in through windows?

M'kay and I suppose natural light would come in through the window, I'm aloud to go home Thursday to check the fish so I can turn it off then but it's already been on for about 4 days? he can't take me home until Thursday though because his girlfriend needs the car for work..

The fish don't need the light on at all. Lights are just for the plants and for your viewing pleasure, but if you leave them on the fish won't be able to sleep. So leave them off all week. If your uncle is feeding them, then they'll be fine. :good:

When you get home get yourself a timer and set it for 7 or 8 hours per day. Its one less thing for you to worry about and your fish get the same light at the same time so they will always be more settled. Also try and get in touch with your uncle and get him to turn the light off. Algae city when you get back I reckon...

Most reactions

trending

Back