Leaves, What Can I Use?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

irvs

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
what with the leaves falling of the trees now is a graet time to start collecting for the tank but what exactly can i get away with???

thanks neil.

Oak is best, it lasts for a long time before finally decaying. I've used maple but it was gone within a month (apparently shrimp like the way it tastes).

Dried oak leaves are good as are almond leaves. It depends on your location. I have been warned away from walnut leaves since walnuts contain chemicals that prevent other plants from competing with their roots by killing the other plant in a sort of chemical warfare going on at the roots level.

what about other leaves eg. ash, hazle, berch, or is it just the hard wood???

thanks neil.

I didnt know you could se leaves as decoration in your tanks, I will be watching this thread for any new replies.

Hi

as mentioned before oak and almond are recommended ones I wouldn't put anything else just in case

I'd be wary about using anything else than oak and almond too. Many other leaves decompose too fast and some may be toxic to aquarium life (for example, conifer needles probably won't decompose fast, but the resin is likely to be irritating or harmful to fish).

If you decide to experiment (at your own risk :) ), use leaves that are sturdy and "leathery" like oak leaves, dry them and boil them before putting them in the tank. This should minimize the risk of harmful chemicals making it to the aquarium. To keep them from crumpling up as they dry, put them between towels or some such under a light weight to dry.

To those for whom leaf litter in an aquarium is a new idea, be aware that they'll lower the pH of the water somewhat and can tint the water slightly brownish, much like bogwood does. So if this isn't what you want, don't try it. :)

Hi , I asked the same question a while ago and the general answer was Oak .......Its safe and lasts longer than the most of the other types , also softens the water and pH...... :good:

Mine last about a month. They float for a few days before sinking, then I leave them in for a couple weeks. The shrimp love them when I first put them in.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back