Leaves In The Aquarium

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

noobgamers said:

Blackberry?
That would be great, I have a huge blackberry bush outside my house!
Can anyone confirm that this is safe?
hey i know this si an old thread but could you please tell me if blackberrys are safe if you know that is im trying to do the exact same as you are and source them form my garden

I do not believe there is a blackberry tree, at least not from what I can find online.  More likely to be some type of mulberry tree.  The true blackberry, meaning the fruit we eat, grows on long trailing stalks that are extremely thorny; it does not form a tree.  I have it in my backyard, wild along the fence, and it is everywhere here.  Obviously one would not put this (blackberry with thorns) in a fish tank.  If what you have forms a true bush, perhaps it too is a Mulberry, or something similar?

As to whether or not Mulberry leaves are safe, I've no idea.  These are not mentioned in the excellent article TwoTankmin linked.  And not in an article in TFH a year or so back.

Byron.

Avocadoes as fruit are toxic to a lot of animals. Would the same say for the leaves?

I've tried sea hibiscus leaves once. It breaks down slowly than indian almond leaves

is it safe to let almond leaves decompose completely in the tank or should they be removed at some point?

Yes, it's perfectly safe to let them decompose but they will make quite a bit of mess.

@ Byron, Whilst you are right that blackberries do not grow on trees, the thorns that they grow on do have small leaves on. I'm assuming that it was these leaves that were referred to in TooManyChoices' post

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back