Leaves In The Aquarium

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

DreamertK

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Taking a little break from the identification thread biz for a bit and thinking about how my back yard may help my tank (while my tank helps my back yard).

So I've got a ton of avocado trees. I was thinking of putting a bunch of avocado leaves in my tank perhaps as a pseudo-substrate to make it appear more like the bottom of a river. I know that the trees haven't been sprayed with anything since they're just chillin in my backyard. Has anyone had any experience with this? Is there some sort of procedure I should take before putting them in? Any sort of length of time before I should take them out? Any sort of effects on the water (tannins)?

I put almond leaves in my shrimp tank and occasionally in my larger community tank. They do leach some tannins but nothing significant but I only put in one medium sized leaf at a time. I buy mine from the internet and give them a soak in water before putting them into the tank.

I am familiar with those leaves. They seem to be advertised as some sort of fish aphrodisiac.

I've bought from these guys. The leaves got through Australia quarantine just fine.

http://www.bettawan.com/index.html

I think they live in a pretty rural area and my order was delayed by weather so they included a load of extra leaves free of charge :)

I'd definitely recommend them!

I dont trust online stores for plants after one of my orders of java ferns was burned by the USDA.
no.gif

USA. I'd rather not buy any leaves at all, as I have an abundance in my back yard. :p

I don't think you can just pick up any random leave. I've heard that you should only use leaves from hardwood trees such as oaks.

You can use hardwood leaves.  Make sure they are dried (dead off the tree) and cleaned before putting in your tank.  Expect to see some tannin effect but how much depends on how many leaves you use and exactly what kind.  I use leaves from my oak trees all the time in my tanks.  The fish love them.

I made a thread like this on another forum and some suggestions were.

- Indian Almond
- Mulberry
- Oak
- Lillypilly
- Banana
- Mangrove
- Melelauca 
- Blackberry
- Spanish Chestnut
- Beech
- Maple

***DISCLAIMER*** These are merely suggestions I have recieved from people who had tried them and seemingly had no detrimental effects on the fish, BUT, putting anything into your aquarium runs a risk. So if you do something like this be warned it could go wrong. 

Blackberry?
That would be great, I have a huge blackberry bush outside my house!
Can anyone confirm that this is safe?

Hmm I guess avo's out then. I'm...not actually sure what trees are in my backyard except that all but one of them are for fruit.
blink.png

Wrightt, do you have a hospital tank and perhaps a snail or two to test it out? :p

wrightt3 said:
Blackberry?
That would be great, I have a huge blackberry bush outside my house!
Can anyone confirm that this is safe?
hey i know this si an old thread but could you please tell me if blackberrys are safe if you know that is im trying to do the exact same as you are and source them form my garden

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back