Leaking Tank

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Kelp23

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi all, I've got an Eheim 240l tank which I think is leaning from the underside. It's fully planted and stocked. What's the best way to deal with this? Thanks

It will need to be drained and then repaired.
Yeah I know that I guess what I was asking was the best way to do that. I don't have a spare tank so will be fish be ok in a large plastic tub or polystyrene box overnight with a heater and airstone so I can drain my tank?

It will be 10 days to two weeks before the main tank is running again. So you really need another tank that you can transfer everyone into. It doesn't have to be as big as it is only a temporary home the plants and substrate will need to go into tubs or buckets and kept wet

Keeping the fish in a large plastic box shouldn't be an issue. But you need to make sure you keep your filter running that's the main thing or you will have a crash and then you need to restart the cycle to build up bacteria. So get the largest box possible and run your filter as you would I it was in the tank.

This is how I deal with your situation. I set up two or three smaller tanks say 60 liters each separate the fish into friendly and not so friendly float the plant across each tank. Put a sponge filter on each one ( run of an air pump ). Keep the substrate wet in buckets. Drain and dry the main tank and reseal it. If it is a crack running through the base in a straight line you can glue a piece of 6mm glass over that to seal it. Silicone takes 10 days to cure. Refill, check for leaks and away you go again. The 60 liter tanks can be used for breeding fish later on.

I have a friend who kept a ton of fish in large, plastic storage bins, with cycled filters and plants, for several months during a crisis. Both the fish and the plants increased in numbers during their stay in the fish hotel. So, I've never done that, but I know it can work. Do you know how to repair a tank? It isn't the easiest job, but doable. There are lots of videos on the net about how to do it. Good luck!

I have a friend who kept a ton of fish in large, plastic storage bins, with cycled filters and plants, for several months during a crisis. Both the fish and the plants increased in numbers during their stay in the fish hotel. So, I've never done that, but I know it can work. Do you know how to repair a tank? It isn't the easiest job, but doable. There are lots of videos on the net about how to do it. Good luck!
Hi, I'm don't even know where the water is coming from. I've decided I'm going to buy a new tank as I've no idea how to repair and wouldn't ever trust the tank ( especially if I fixed it) the stand is water damaged now anyway but it's a slow leak at the moment so I've left the fish and everything in the tank, reduced the water and will be ordering a new tank tomorrow. Hopefully it will be here in a couple of days so I can transfer everything straight over. I'll then be able to try and find the problem with the original tank. I'll then try and sell it for spares or repairs.

That's probably a wise decision. Peace of mind is one of the reasons we keep aquariums, and if you're worried that it's going to blow up on you, there's really no point. :) I bet you could find someone to take the leaky one off your hands; some people enjoy a challenge.

T

When the bracer bar on my old Rio 125 became detached at the back and the tank started to bow, I too got a new tank. I advertised the 125 litre on https://www.aquarist-classifieds.co.uk/ as free with photos of the bracer bar and someone replied very quickly. He was willing to try and repair it since it was free. I was quite happy as it meant it didn't clutter up the house any more :)

IMHO, you need to "Act" now.
My tank leak nightmare, 2 weeks after receiving a group of Blue Diamond Discus ($400)
June 2019,
Sometime between 2am and 7am.The dreaded "Tank Leak" struck. Woke up a few hours earlier than normal. Instead of tossing and turning decided to get up. Going through the routine, I suddenly noticed/heard a waterfall sound, similar to an HOB output if the water level got a bit low. Strange since I no longer use them. Went to the Living room, stepped on to the carpet it was wet. Oh, know! Yep, my 55 gallon Discus tank was leaking.
It appears to have lost about 50% of the water. Scramble time, what to do, where do I start? Decided firstly to remove the fish to a 5 gal pail, then start pumping out the water all the while working on the soaked carpet. Where to put the Discus. I have 4 other tanks going but, all occupied. Decided to put them in the 45 gal container I age water in. Whew! By the time I was done it appears approx. 30 gals leaked out. Now the task of cleanup. Towels, Towels and more Towels.
After 5-6 hours of towels and shop vac, decided to lift end of carpeting and direct fan underneath. Moved the canister and sponge filters to other containers along with the plants. No choice but off to the job. Back home after 9 hours, carpet still very wet. What to do, started cutting and removing carpet. By this time it's 3 am. Back up at 8am, more carpet cutting. After all said/done, ended up purchasing a "New" 55g tank and refinishing the floor. $$'s.
Oh, by the way the "Discus did "Ok" in the 45g water aging container for almost 2 weeks.

Good Luck!

I've ordered a new tank but the "leak" seems to have stopped so I think I might have had an issue with either condensation our my airstone. Either way, there is some water damage to my stand so I'll continue to wait for the new tank. I don't think there's any risk to this tank or my fish but I'll text my old tank when I take it all apart and sell it on. Someone with more DIY skills than me would be able to repair the stand.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back