Leaking tank, flashing fish, disaster

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

AilyNC

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
Hey long time...

So I had gone from 2 tanks to 1 about a year ago. All was going great & then I decided to set the 60L tank back up with fish for my son to enjoy. Tested the tank to make sure it was ok. Cycled it. Got fish. All seemed well.

My Corys from big tank (120L) layed eggs so I put a few in a lil incubator in the smaller tank. I got one fry & I moved it into big tank in incubator. It's doing very well. About 4/5 days old.

The guppies in 60L started to flash. I should've never bought guppies but my kid likes them & it's been a few yrs since I had live bearers. Then the neon tetras flashed too. I started treating with eSHa Gdex. Then I noticed the tank was leaking.

I rushed out & got a small emergency tank. 14L. Yes it's tiny but the cost of tanks is ridiculous right now.

So I've 7 guppies, 10 neon tetras in a 14L. Plus I just saw 2 Cory fry in with them.

So I used silicone to reseal the entire bottom lines of the 60L. Waited for it to dry. Filled it with sand & water & ornaments. No sign of leaking. Popped the filter in & while letting it settle I noticed leaking but from the back right (had been front right).

I am broken from this. (Mostly because I'm still recovering from a bad fall & breaks in my foot so this has been agony)

I've two choices I see -

Try reseal the tank again, it takes 24hrs to fully dry (I had waited 36hrs to be sure). Leaving 7guppies, 10 neon tetra & 2 small Cory fry in a 14L tank. The 14L needs regular water change to keep it clean & ammonia at 0 but this also means it's harder to medicate them. Especially as instructions are not to do a WC until day 3. They are on day 3 but have had multiple WCs & redosing. They are flashing wayyyy less but still flashing.

Or...

I put them in my 120L with my 10 cories, one teeny Cory fry, one L129 false Columbian zebra pleco, & two albino bristlenose plecos and medicate that tank. These fish are all 3 & 3+ yrs old except 1 Cory that was born in the tank last yr. Those fish aren't flashing so idea of adding sick fish is stressful.

Nitrate 0
Ammonia 0
Nitrate 20
pH 7.6

Both tanks. But I've only changed both tanks.

My husband just got home so he's testing the leaking tank to find leak & wants to try reseal.

What would you do that isn't going out to buy another tank?

Thanks for reading my rambling long panic message. (Edited typos)

Last edited:
The 120L is 34(l)x12(d)x18(h) & has eheim aquaball 130 & Eheim pickup 160 filters.

Welcome back - although sorry about the reasons for the post.
I would keep doing what you're doing. Are you sure about the reason for medicating? eSHa Gdex is for skin / gill flukes and probably won't help if its ich. If it is ich you only need to turn the temp up to 30 degrees for 2 weeks. That's a lot easier than re-calculating dosages for the daily water changes.

When you re-sealed the tank did you try to patch it or did you remove the existing silicone and redo those joins?

Thanks Seán :)

It's not ich. It's either worms or fluke. Lot of flashing & male guppy that looks pregnant.

My husband sees no sign of leaking. Reckons I spilled water or possible leaking at top from it being so full. I didn't remove the original seal but resealed inside & outside.

I think I'm gonna put them into the 60L tonight. If there's a leak again I'll probably put back in the little tank but I feel like the need the space badly. leaking has been slow when it happened.

Really don't want to infect my bigger tank.

Last edited:
I left the fish in the 14L overnight & the 60L full with pump going. No leaking!!

What a stressful fish keeping few days. Haven't had any worry with my fish for so long.

They're back in the 60L now & will keep an eye on water quality & do WC tomorrow as per medication schedule.

Well done.
It’s everyones worst nightmare. Most important thing is not to panic. Plus add some treated water if it’s getting seriously low and all the fish have yet be be removed.
Mine seemed to be queuing up to jump in the net after I’d noticed mine leaking at 18:00 on xmas eve a few years back. Everything sorted and everyone out and in the back up tank by 22:00.

Well done.
It’s everyones worst nightmare. Most important thing is not to panic. Plus add some treated water if it’s getting seriously low and all the fish have yet be be removed.
Mine seemed to be queuing up to jump in the net after I’d noticed mine leaking at 18:00 on xmas eve a few years back. Everything sorted and everyone out and in the back up tank by 22:00.

Wow Xmas Eve?! The stress!!

I should have remembered how much live bearers annoy me :fish: they're nearly always infected with something, poop non stop & pop out fry constantly. The fish shops does take grown fry in but I imagine my kid will get attached & want to steal my big tank from me hahaha

Most reactions

Back