Leaking Tank | Cabinet Swollen & Locked Closed | Emergency!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Well, methinks your cabinet might be ruined now if made from wood/mdf as it will probably expand and warp even more once drying out and then might be totally unsuitable for holding a heavy tank full of water.

If cabinet had any kind or warranty/guarantee/insurance then might be worth asking if can replace due to unforeseen damage.

If you can get it replaced then hack the cabinet apart!!

And agree with above posts, get a good dehumidifier, this will dry out your carpets, walls, floorboards properly therefore limiting the damage and you can hire them for about £100 to £160 a week depending on which company you use. Not worth buying one IMO as would never get used after this!

Well the worst thing is it's made out of contiboard (can't remember the other name). Its 15mm thick. 

The stand is a 76cm long (I believe.) and 54cm deep. (It's a custom made one.)

Inside, I went a bit overboard with the supports. It is effectively a box inside a box. So, there are a total of 6 vertical supports... 

Also, the doors slide into a metal bar (often used to cap off the end of kitchen surfaces I believe.) And I believe that is my problem.

Just thought to let you know ;)

Ahh, gotcha!

In that case, as mentioned above, take tank off the cabinet, emptying it first of course to stop damaging the tank. Then wait for cabinet to dry out a bit more. Might take a few days. And try again to open the doors.

Hopefully because it sounds a strong structure it might be ok, just a case off possibly just replacing the doors if damaged beyond repair.

Better still get a dehumidifier as mentioned. This will truly help. Know it's a bit of bother to get one but worth it I assure you to stop floorboards rotting/weakening as your tank and cabinet is right on top of said floorboards.

1 litre of water is almost a kilo in weight, times 200 plus the weight of cabinet, tank, decor, sand/gravel, external filter etcetera so around 300 kilos of weight!

I may sound a bit dramatic but that would surely be a worst case scenario, tank and cabinet completely destroyed because floor could not support full weight properly! Probably wont happen but you never know. Better to be safe than sorry really.

Do let us know how things turn out and what progress you make about this.

Alright guys... 

So the doors had long enough to dry out - what was it, like 2 weeks?

They were still just as wedged as Day 1 as Day 14. 

So with the help of some heavy hammers, screwdrivers, and an attitude which no longer cared - the doors were smashed to smithereens. (After checking for the bowing and the stress from the tank above - all was fine!)

I am now getting ready to install some plastic doors... or something which isn't as disastrous.

Thanks for the support! :)

Good stuff!

Oh, well, at least it was just the doors, not the whole cabinet that was damaged.
Am glad the structure of your cabinet is still sound. Good news on that front anyway!

And yes, plastic doors might be good this time round for you! lol

Haha :) Well it was all thanks to the intelligent structure I guess (6 vertical supports in a 76cm space)

Just ever so slightly over engineered! lol
But good job you did that though!

Oh no :s shame but you can choose something you want I guess.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back