Leaking pond

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

CathyG

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hi, all! :)

I have a concrete pond which has been established for many years, but over this last couple of weeks we have noticed an alarming drop in water volume which cannot be attributed solely to evaporation - we are talking in excess of 200 litres a day. This is costing me a fortune in chemicals and considering I am on a water meter too.

Since I have only been at this house a couple of months, I am not sure how old the pond is, or know anything about its construction. I know that it is older than the conservatory (hence the conservatory width) and this part of the building is showing signs of wear and tear.

I realise that I am going to have to completely drain the pond to look for leaks (might I find drains perhaps?) What would you guys advise, could we layer pond liner inside the pond, or should we infill with more concrete? What concerns me is that concrete is acidic and corrosive, how do I find a suitable mix and how long would it need to be left?

TIA!

infilling wont work as the crack will just keep opening follow wolfs advice on the sealer ,once you find the leak skim it over with a render mix and seal the pond ,or line the pond with a liner ,either will work fine

i wouldnt go for black though as it tend to attract the sun and overheat

Thanks so much, guys! :)

Last night I refilled the pond (approx 9ft by 4.5ft) to the "tide mark" 24 hours later I see I have a two inch drop in water level.

I never knew there was a paint! I was thinking how ugly a pond liner would look. The paint says it need three coats, any idea on the coverage? (the pond is about 20" ish deep)

bribones, the pond is 75% in direct sunlight most of the day, so thanks for the advice re colour!

Thanks again! :)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back