Leaking filter

Taysage

Reaction score
I discovered today that my filter is leaking pretty bad. I have a new one I installed but I worry about losing bacteria that is needed for the fish. Can I immediately start the new filter and get rid of the old one. right now I have seven molly babies and a molly that is going into labor anytime now. I don’t want to stress anybody. One more thing what do I do with all these babies. I took in three mollies not knowing hoe how often they have them. Please help me about the aquarium

Take the media out of your old filter and fit as much as you can in the new filter. You can add a bit of new media in the new filter as well to help seed the new media.
How long has the tank been set up? If it's been set up for a while, there will be some BB on the substrate and tank walls.

Last edited:
the leaking filter is a fluval. The new one is top fin. I have the new one running along with the old right now. The filter mediums are very different. Do I just put some old media with the new. Thanks so much for replying quickly. I appreciate it

Tank the media out of your old filter and fit as much as you can in the new filter. You can add a bit of new media in the new filter as well to help see the new media.
How long has the tank been set up. If it's been set up for a while, there will be some BB on the substrate and tank walls.

It has been setup for about 12 weeks. Water quality and tests are doing great right now

Where is the old filter leaking? The main canister seal can be a bit picky sometimes. I usually gently remove the large o-ring and apply a very small amount of silicone grease to it before putting it back in. If you are using any sort of loose media you should be able to put some of that in the new filter.

I have the feeling the OP meant a HOBack type of Fluval, such as a Fluval Aquaclear or similar. Not a Fluval canister. If so, the most common reason for leaking is a busted o-ring, which is easy to replace.
Regardless, the cartridges used by HOB Topfin filters are useless, as all disposable cartridges are. They can be modified easily and made to be permanent (made to be possible to be cleaned every week, and never disposed of).
The other thing one can do is simply to put inside the tank any media from the leaking filter that does not fit the new filter, at least temporarily. By being in the tank for a few days it will help seed the new filter.

There is only one place on the Aquaclear HOBs where a true leak can occur, unless the case is broken, and that is at the seal for the driver motor at the bottom of the intake side of the filter. Although my comment was for the canister filter the process for the seal on the drive motor is pretty similar. The only other place an Aquaclear filter can leak, overflow, is if the bottom of the filter is too close to the back of the tank making a low spot on the back of the filter if the normal outflow area is somewhat blocked. This situation can be fixed by putting a spacer between the tank and the filter if the built-in spacer is lost or broken (common issue).

Topfin media for the HOBs is pretty bad but they can be reused, the carbon will not work as carbon after a while. You will need some additional bacterial substrate. Topfin also has canister filters. The OP could perhaps be a bit more specific..

I think I have two pregnant mollies now, having this happen I am panicked about what to do with the fry. I am not reallt want to breed them for business but I cant have this many fry, it wasn’t very smart take over their care but I didnt realize how often they have fry.

Attachments

• EF5E6395-446E-41E4-8DBD-02FF6833BD1C.jpeg
    EF5E6395-446E-41E4-8DBD-02FF6833BD1C.jpeg
    205.8 KB · Views: 15
  • 58ADFE49-3449-4E5A-81AB-13BB9F994FE8.jpeg
    58ADFE49-3449-4E5A-81AB-13BB9F994FE8.jpeg
    198.7 KB · Views: 16

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back