Leaf question.

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

JuiceBox52

Passionate about fish and their care
Tank of the Month 🏆
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Reaction score
So I know that maple and beech leaves are fine for tanks (dried of course)
But I was wondering if persimmon leaves are?
What about asian pear leaves?
Wild american plum leaves?

Thanks guys :)

I believe any dried leave can be use if you boil it up first to remove any poisonous and unwanted thing, but I am not a expert at all. I know some people use persimmon leaves and kill all of their Fishes because it turns out they didn't boil it up and the leaves contain pesticide.

I believe any dried leave can be use if you boil it up first to remove any poisonous and unwanted thing, but I am not a expert at all. I know some people use persimmon leaves and kill all of their Fishes because it turns out they didn't boil it up and the leaves contain pesticide.
Mine wont have any pesticides:) I have a tree in my backyard

This is quite a good article on dried leaves, though the author does not list all leaves good or bad; he does provide some that he has used, and warns to avoid poisonous trees/leaves. Note, he advises never to boil them, just ensure the collecting site is safe.

The same article also appeared in TFH:

And this is another good article:

My recollection is that leaves from deciduous hardwood trees are generally safe as far as the leaf itself is concerned. Never use coniferous/evergreen leaves or needles as these likely contain toxic substances. Some tropical leaves also contain toxins, so those who live in the habitats of our fish need to be careful.

This is quite a good article on dried leaves, though the author does not list all leaves good or bad; he does provide some that he has used, and warns to avoid poisonous trees/leaves. Note, he advises never to boil them, just ensure the collecting site is safe.

The same article also appeared in TFH:

And this is another good article:

My recollection is that leaves from deciduous hardwood trees are generally safe as far as the leaf itself is concerned. Never use coniferous/evergreen leaves or needles as these likely contain toxic substances. Some tropical leaves also contain toxins, so those who live in the habitats of our fish need to be careful.
Thank you!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back