Lead strips.

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Lynnzer

Fish Addict
Reaction score
I got new windows and doors around 16 months ago. When they took the old ones out I took all the leading from them to use for sea fishing weights. However I haven't been to the sea for ages. So when I bought new plants to add to my tanks I found loads of use for the lead. Just snap a piece off and curl round the roots of the plants to keep them down. Just a simple tip guys and gals.

Lead weights used for fishing can leach toxins into the water. I would remove those asap.

The lead strips you get when you buy plants are a different kind of lead - those are safe.

Lead weights used for fishing can leach toxins into the water. I would remove those asap.

The lead strips you get when you buy plants are a different kind of lead - those are safe.
Different kind of lead, in what way?
Lead is lead (various isotopes aside)

Plumbosolvency is the ability of a solvent, notably water, to dissolve lead. In the public supply of water this is an undesirable property. In (usually older) consumers' premises plumbosolvent water can attack lead pipes, lead service lines, and any lead in solder used to join copper. Plumbosolvency of water can be countered by achieving a pH of 7.5 by increasing the pH with lime or sodium hydroxide (lye), or by providing a protective coating to the inside of lead pipes by the addition of phosphate at the water treatment works.

While optimal pH for prevention of plumbosolvency is 7.5, performance remains very good in the range pH 7.2-7.6. Achieving this pH has been shown to decrease population blood lead concentrations.(3, 4)

Chlorinating water also reduces dissolved lead. It causes the interiors of lead pipes to become coated with lead chloride, which is very insoluble in cold water. However, lead chloride is fairly soluble in hot water. For this reason, water that is to be used for drinking or the preparation of food should never be taken from a hot-water tap, if the water may have been in contact with lead. Water should be taken from a cold-water tap, and heated in a pan or kettle that does not contain lead or lead solder.

This is a bit like my missus buying her ibuprofen in £2 pakets at Boots when she can get the same in Asda of 32p. She swears they are better from Boots......
Anyway, the lead strips are on now, as are some from the plants I bought, so that's where they're going to stay.

One of the online sellers I use is BucePlant.com, I haven’t specifically bought plant weights from them but here’s their description:
1919BF6E-B633-4E14-B5C6-0DC77A8702EF.jpeg

Ah, so it is a "different kind of lead" then.
Live and learn eh.
So the plan now is to wait until the new plants take hold and overcome the new planting that often takes its toll, then to cut the lead off the bottom when the roots have taken a good hold.
In the meantime I doubt if any harm will arise as a result of using them as the water is changed at least 50% each week.

Ah, so it is a "different kind of lead" then.
Live and learn eh.
So the plan now is to wait until the new plants take hold and overcome the new planting that often takes its toll, then to cut the lead off the bottom when the roots have taken a good hold.
In the meantime I doubt if any harm will arise as a result of using them as the water is changed at least 50% each week.
I'm guessing the Zinc Alloy (roughly 1/2 the density of lead) is ductile and soft enough to cut due to the Magnesium.

Different kind of lead, in what way?
Lead is lead (various isotopes aside)

Plumbosolvency is the ability of a solvent, notably water, to dissolve lead. In the public supply of water this is an undesirable property. In (usually older) consumers' premises plumbosolvent water can attack lead pipes, lead service lines, and any lead in solder used to join copper. Plumbosolvency of water can be countered by achieving a pH of 7.5 by increasing the pH with lime or sodium hydroxide (lye), or by providing a protective coating to the inside of lead pipes by the addition of phosphate at the water treatment works.

While optimal pH for prevention of plumbosolvency is 7.5, performance remains very good in the range pH 7.2-7.6. Achieving this pH has been shown to decrease population blood lead concentrations.(3, 4)

Chlorinating water also reduces dissolved lead. It causes the interiors of lead pipes to become coated with lead chloride, which is very insoluble in cold water. However, lead chloride is fairly soluble in hot water. For this reason, water that is to be used for drinking or the preparation of food should never be taken from a hot-water tap, if the water may have been in contact with lead. Water should be taken from a cold-water tap, and heated in a pan or kettle that does not contain lead or lead solder.

I’m talking about the thick lead weights the OP was talking about.

I think the problem is that Lead (Pb) weights should be called that, and anything else (ZnMg) should be called either plant weights or more precisely Zinc (Zn) weights. Witness the manufacturer paragraph above trying to disentangle the sloppy industry nomenclature.

Now, I'm off to refill my Pentel mechanical pencil with new Lead. :cool:

I have used lead off the roll for years as plant anchors no problem. The amount of lead leached off that is minimal and would never be detected in a fishes lifetime. Continue it is fine

If the lead is shiny silver and looks nice and bright, then it can release small amounts of lead into the water.

If the lead is dull and grey, then it is covered in lead oxide and will not release anything into the water.

I used old lead fishing sinkers in my tanks for decades and never had an issue with them affecting the fish.

lead doesn't dissolve easily but if it does in water pipes it will make the water unusable. I my tank I use plumbing solder. In the USA plumbing solder must be lead free. It is mainly a alloy of tin, silver, and copper. When I had a lab test don on my tank tower it showed only a small amount of silver which is not toxic. Copper was also at a safe level.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back