Lazy Betta?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

rmanpf

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
My new betta, frodo fust sits near the surface of his half gallon tank and i know he is not dead because he will come up for air. But i want to know if that is normal? should i let him settle in first?

Is it the temperature?(72*F)

Plz someone help me.

He's most probably still settling in, so I wouldn't worry. Although 72* F.. I'm not sure about. I have mine at 80*F But this could just be down to personal preference. What temps does everyone keep their bettas at?

He's most probably still settling in, so I wouldn't worry. Although 72* F.. I'm not sure about. I have mine at 80*F But this could just be down to personal preference. What temps does everyone keep their bettas at?
Mine is happy and active at 24 degrees celcius.....75 degrees farenheit....which is cool for a betta...so maybe you should raise the temp a bit, remember not to adjust more than a couple of degrees an hour as it could cause stress to the fish :)
:good:

mine are all at 78*-80*
they seem to like it :)
i would let him settle in for a bit my new boy tends to be alot more lazy compared to my other 2 guess its ust there personality! :)

Thank you all for replying soo, quickly. I will add a picture of frodo soon, so you can all see. He is a purple with a bit of red VT.

Im new to this forum but I've been keeping mine(my 1st one ever) at 78*-80*, I started at room temp which is about 68* to 70*, this was quite a bit lower than what he was in at the store as well and this seemed to stress him out alot so I got a heater. ps. can someone replu y to me so i don't feel like I'm somehow posting wrong (any tips welcome) thanks

Im new to this forum but I've been keeping mine(my 1st one ever) at 78*-80*, I started at room temp which is about 68* to 70*, this was quite a bit lower than what he was in at the store as well and this seemed to stress him out alot so I got a heater. ps. can someone replu y to me so i don't feel like I'm somehow posting wrong (any tips welcome) thanks

Sounds gd to me :good: I'm surprised your LFS didn't tell what temp they should be at though :/

Sounds gd to me :good: I'm surprised your LFS didn't tell what temp they should be at though :/

I got mixed info from them, I was at a specialty store but it was really busy in there that day and possibly the guy wasn't that experienced. The fish actually got quite sick, and I'm afraid I nearly killed him. thanks for your reply as well, i'm not feeling quite so alientated anymore :good:

No worries. As you've probably guess, many (not all, but many) LFS will give out incorrect information on fish keeping.

In my experience the little hidden away stores are the ones you should find, rather than commercial stores. For example I have 3 pets stores that sell tropical fish. 2 of them are big corporate companies. The other is a family run shop. It's this shop that I get my fish from and they know how to keep their fish happy and healthy. If there is an infected tank, there will always be a cover over it and sign informing you that the fish from that particular tank are not for sale. Where as the other 2 big stores will ignore the signs of illness and sell the fish regardless.

Ok thats really cool, but will Frodo get active in the future?

No worries. As you've probably guess, many (not all, but many) LFS will give out incorrect information on fish keeping.

In my experience the little hidden away stores are the ones you should find, rather than commercial stores. For example I have 3 pets stores that sell tropical fish. 2 of them are big corporate companies. The other is a family run shop. It's this shop that I get my fish from and they know how to keep their fish happy and healthy. If there is an infected tank, there will always be a cover over it and sign informing you that the fish from that particular tank are not for sale. Where as the other 2 big stores will ignore the signs of illness and sell the fish regardless.

I've recently visited with my four local(all privately owned)fish specialty shops, to compare their info, in order to better educate myself on the good from bad. That's why I decided to join this forum too. I have gotten good info from the above mentioned store on a weekday when it was slow, but on the saturday before new years it was just chaos in there and I may have confused the young man with an excessive number of questions. What do you think of the recently added picture of my fish "Wyatt". Also how do I get the quote out of their if I don't feel a need to show it?

there is a button near the botton of the page called add reply : )

Also how do I get the quote out of their if I don't feel a need to show it?
When you get into the reply box, there is lots of text in the box already. it will start with some [ ] brackets with quote name, date, time etc and finish with /quote surrounded by brackets [ ]

just delete any bits you don't want to show, leaving the bits you do want or just delete the whole thing.

to make a quote show up all you have to have is [ ] brackets with quote at the beginning and [ ] with /quote at the end

sorry cant show you with it inside the brackets as that would make it into a quote and not show anything :lol:

hope that makes sense, i'm a bit tired and grumpy at the moment and thats the only way i can think to describe it

Also how do I get the quote out of their if I don't feel a need to show it?
When you get into the reply box, there is lots of text in the box already. it will start with some [ ] brackets with quote name, date, time etc and finish with /quote surrounded by brackets [ ]

just delete any bits you don't want to show, leaving the bits you do want or just delete the whole thing.

to make a quote show up all you have to have is [ ] brackets with quote at the beginning and [ ] with /quote at the end

sorry cant show you with it inside the brackets as that would make it into a quote and not show anything :lol:

hope that makes sense, i'm a bit tired and grumpy at the moment and thats the only way i can think to describe it

thank you

Most reactions

Back