Lavender gouramis chasing each other

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Buccs1887!

Reaction score
Hello everyone I have a 65 gallon tank setup. I have 4 cory catfish, 1 bushynosed pleco, 2 rams and 2 female lavender gouramis and 1 male gold gourami. Ive had the gouramis them for about a week noe and the gold male would chase everyone around to im guessing establish dominance. But all of a sudden the bigger fenale gourami is chasing the male and smaller one. Should i wait and see if they calm down or rehome the 2 bigger ones? Thank you all for any and all input

maybe she is pregnant? my female guppy got very aggresive when she almost was pregnant.

Attachments

• 20210227_091646.jpg
    20210227_091646.jpg
    282.2 KB · Views: 40
  • 20210227_091643.jpg
    20210227_091643.jpg
    283.9 KB · Views: 42
Video was to large to up load so here are some screen shots, sorry about the quality

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210227-093442_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210227-093442_Gallery.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 36
  • Screenshot_20210227-093444_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210227-093444_Gallery.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 39
Gold and lavender gouramis are the same species; they are variants of three spot gouramis. We had a member on here who had a female three spot (the blue variety if I remember correctly) which killed every other fish in the tank. And there's also the possibility that a female could be a juvenile male.
Three spot gouramis are at the more aggressive end of the gourami behaviour spectrum.

maybe she is pregnant? my female guppy got very aggresive when she almost was pregnant.
Gouramis don't get pregnant, they are egg layers ;)

Gold and lavender gouramis are the same species; they are variants of three spot gouramis. We had a member on here who had a female three spot (the blue variety if I remember correctly) which killed every other fish in the tank. And there's also the possibility that a female could be a juvenile male.
Three spot gouramis are at the more aggressive end of the gourami behaviour spectrum.

Gouramis don't get pregnant, they are egg layers ;)
hmm, maybe she was guarding her eggs

I'm afraid that doesn't apply to gouramis either.
Male gouramis build a bubble nest on the surface of the water, a male and female spawn, they catch the eggs and put them in the nest then the male takes over. He looks after the eggs not the female.

You need a picture on the back of the tank to make the fish feel more secure.

You need some plants in the tank, including floating plants like Water Sprite (Ceratopteris thalictroides/ cornuta) to provide the gouramis with territory and shelter. Water Sprite can also be grown in the gravel.

The gold gourami in the first picture with the balloon ram looks like a young male. The blue gourami is female. Can't tell what sex the gold is with the blue. But if you have 2 males and a female, the bigger male will bully and possibly even kill the smaller male. I would remove the one being picked on.

Lots and lots of live plants for this tank, that will make them happier and give them some protection from each other.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back