FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

PheonixKingZ

Fish Guru
Tank of the Month 🏆
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
Hello! I picked up a nice looking lava rock yesterday, and I was wondering, how you are supposed to clean a lava rock? I have soaked it for over 3 days, in hot water (no soap), and I have scrubbed it thoroughly. I also here that Lava Rock is good for Java Fern (is this true?), if you just tie it onto the rock, with fishing line.

P.S. I am a beginner everything “plant” related, does Java Fern need liquid Fertilizer?

Here is a picture of said lava rock. Thank you! :)
image.jpg

If you bought the rock from a pet shop, you should only need to rinse it to remove dust, soak it for a day or so, and then rinse again. Then it should be fine.

Java Fern can be tied to any rock or wood or even plastic ornament. You can use string, fishing line, or a rubber band. Don't tie it too tight because you can cut through the rhizome. The plant usually attaches to whatever it's tied to within a month or so and the string can be removed after that.

All plants do better with some additional nutrients but they don't need it. If you want to add aquarium plant fertiliser, use a liquid iron based fertiliser and get an iron test kit to monitor the iron levels in the water. You want the iron levels at 1mg/l (1ppm).

I use Sera Florena (liquid iron plant fertiliser), but there are other brands available.

Thanks! ;)

I will look into getting some of that liquid fert.

I did get the rock form my LFS. Just so ya know! :)

So which do you think would be better? The cave I have in my fish tank now. (No pours) or the lava rock? :)

If you bought the rock from a pet shop, you should only need to rinse it to remove dust, soak it for a day or so, and then rinse again. Then it should be fine.

Java Fern can be tied to any rock or wood or even plastic ornament. You can use string, fishing line, or a rubber band. Don't tie it too tight because you can cut through the rhizome. The plant usually attaches to whatever it's tied to within a month or so and the string can be removed after that.

All plants do better with some additional nutrients but they don't need it. If you want to add aquarium plant fertiliser, use a liquid iron based fertiliser and get an iron test kit to monitor the iron levels in the water. You want the iron levels at 1mg/l (1ppm).

I use Sera Florena (liquid iron plant fertiliser), but there are other brands available.
I agree with Colin. Anything store bought shouldn’t need to much maintenance.

A few rinses should be enough.

Good luck!

Thank you! Will you be able to answer the other questions I had above ^? :)

But would the Java Fern grow better attaches to something will a lot of pores? Or something smooth?

P.S. would it work on both?:)

I will! ;)

I love growing plants in an aquarium, so will definitely keep you guys updated! :)

Java ferns are one of my favorites! You shouldn’t have any trouble attaching your fern to either. Another option if you don’t want to risk damaging the plant with wire or line is to use an aquarium glue that you can find at your LFS. I use the flourish glue and it works well and holds solid. Make sure you let it dry before submerging.
Something porous will give your plant lots of area to spread its roots.

Ok guys! So just as an update, I attached the “Lacy” Java Fern, to my lava rock, with a piece of 1-2 lb. fishing line.

Do you have any other suggestions to a healthy growth?

(Location, lighting, fertilizers, etc.) :)

Seachem iron. Hard to beat. Lava rock is good but its sharp..fish that argue or spook should not be kept in a tank with much lava rock.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back