Lathargic betta

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

CatLover

Fish Addict
Reaction score
One of my bettas has been acting strange the past few days. He is extremely lathargic, and has lost some of his color. All he does is "sit" at the top of the water, with his nose stuck in a corner, all day. I even put another betta beside him so he could get some exercise, and he didn't even attempt to flare. The other betta went wild, but he just sat there, staring at him.
He has shown signs today that make me think it might be his swim bladder. He has struggled two times this morning to swim down, but it's too hard for him. He puts all his power into it, but I don't think he made it to the bottom either time (he is only in a 1G).
Any ideas what is wrong, and what treatment I should use? There are no physical signs of illness other than he is a bit paler, and seems to not be able to swim down.

What temperature is the water? If its too low this will slow them down and any food in the gut wont go through quick enough and will stagnate.

He is very young. I just bought him a couple of days ago, and his body is barely over an inch long. Much smaller than my adult betta. He is not bloated, and no, he hasn't been eating.

The water is about 80 degrees right now. I know it never falls below 76.

I just did a water change, and he is swimming laps around the surface of the water... on his side. Now he is laying on his side at the surface with his nose stuck in a plant. :/

It could be that he is just getting used to his new surroundings. Turn the lights off or cover his tank, keep it quiet and give him a couple of days to adjust to his new pad.

I think you're right, Naughty. I went to class for a few hours, and when I returned he was doing great. He is swimming around normally, and his color is back.

I'm relieved :thumbs:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

No members online now.
Back