Latest gaming without gaming rig

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to enter! šŸ†

Jamesthecat

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi

just to let you know what I have been doing to play the latest of games on ultra FPS on my iPad lol

Go to Microsoft Azure and sign up for free trial
( youā€™ll get Ā£150 free credits )
Create and deploy a vm ( virtual machine )

Techy bit :

When you build and deploy the Virtual machine do something like -
Windows 10
Big SSD

NV6 or 12
Stupid core and RAM

Basically your getting Microsoft to build and host a ā€˜virtual pcā€™ for you and you pay per hour from your free credit

I built a beast and connected via my Ipad
Downloaded games ( steam etc) and then play

I was getting 200 FPS etc and 4000gb broadband speed

The Ā£150 lasts about a month then you sign up again

Nice! Cool you make your own stuff.

I play on my iPad. I only play Pixel Gun 3-D and Iā€™m REALLY good at it. If you get it, look me up. My name is ā€œą¦ŠPKā€, short for PheonixKingZ.

Believe it are not I am still playing Unreal Tournament 99 version. This is the second release of the game, with the first called Unreal. I also played Unreal online first and then UT99. I have had a UT99 server up for twenty years. It has changed IP addresses over the years because servers come and go.

Just in case anyone is interested in old FPS games, I have about fourty of them for download on my website. Here is the link Webcentral Games

Iā€™m nearly legendary on cod mobile on my iPad Pro ill install it in morning
Never played COD, PUBG mobile, Fortnight, etc.

Just never seemed interested in that stuff. (More like never got a chance to play it)

Wow, you guys have impressed me again. I didn't know games could be played in this fashion. Do any of you guys play Elite Dangerous? This is my current gaming stallion:

20200309_140435.jpg

It didn't seem old until I read this thread.

Cool i used to build water cooled lan rigs.
A custom gaming build is still the way to go for gaming as long as you donā€™t mind upgrading every few years to cope with the new games.

I found that putting so much money into other hobbies meant I couldnā€™t spend over a grand on a nice machine so the whole virtual build works well for me.

And the sheer speed of the broadband they have is amazing, i have 500gb fibre so thereā€™s no lag

Cool i used to build water cooled lan rigs.
A custom gaming build is still the way to go for gaming as long as you donā€™t mind upgrading every few years to cope with the new games.

I found that putting so much money into other hobbies meant I couldnā€™t spend over a grand on a nice machine so the whole virtual build works well for me.

And the sheer speed of the broadband they have is amazing, i have 500gb fibre so thereā€™s no lag

It's great to hear you say this, James. I felt sort of left behind for a second. It's still worth it for me to run the upgrade treadmill, for now at least. I run bleeding edge games at max settings, 2560x1440, with no hitching problems on a displayport connection. In fact, it's time to give Starwars Squadron's a go. :alien:

Wow, didn't realise MS upped the free credits to Ā£150. I wonder how many times can you sign up...

edit: meh , looks like they've imposed limit on the resources :) 4 vCPU and 16GiG Ram to play with .

Last edited:
Wow, didn't realise MS upped the free credits to Ā£150. I wonder how many times can you sign up...

edit: meh , looks like they've imposed limit on the resources :) 4 vCPU and 16GiG Ram to play with .
No mate thereā€™s a way around this

I use gmail which you can do the alias thing with (+1,+2) etc

And if you use a South Central America location thereā€™s no cap

When you validate you need to build it a certain way:

Windows 2016
Standard HDD
NV Series Region
Microsoft Region List
NV6. ( this allows the Nvidia M60 Graphics )

Worst case you just go PAYG - bearing in mind i was playing over watch at 90FPS last night fif the build costs something like Ā£0.56 per hour then its a couple of quid for a nights gaming.

Last edited:
It's great to hear you say this, James. I felt sort of left behind for a second. It's still worth it for me to run the upgrade treadmill, for now at least. I run bleeding edge games at max settings, 2560x1440, with no hitching problems on a displayport connection. In fact, it's time to give Starwars Squadron's a go. :alien:

Lol,,I used to have my own little IT shop back in 2000, it only lasted about 2 years as I couldnā€™t match the bulk buy prices places like PC World got but sites like Overclockers werenā€™t as well known.

we used to make big 3 screen Battlefield machines for LAN parties and itā€™s about then that people started being a bit anal about upgrading every year.
Personally I used to just add a bit more RAM and notch up the overclock on the chip. As your running water the temp isnā€™t a problem. We also did Peltier cooling which is where the chip basically has ice forming on it !

As long as I can run near Ultra at 60fps then I donā€™t really mind how I get there

No mate thereā€™s a way around this

I use gmail which you can do the alias thing with (+1,+2) etc

And if you use a South Central America location thereā€™s no cap

Windows 2016
Standard HDD
NV Series Region
Microsoft Region List

Worst case you just go PAYG - bearing in mind i was playing over watch at 90FPS last night fif the build costs something like Ā£0.56 per hour then its a couple of quid for a nights gaming.

Awesome, cheers for the config info.
Iā€™ll give it a go tonight.
I have Yahoo email which allows disposable emails .

I have Stadia to check out gaming via streaming but to be honest itā€™s pretty laggy. Did you experience any lag while gaming? Iā€™m guessing you are using RDP?

If Azure VMs work I might even consider PAYG as you only get billed if the VM is switched on.

I did check out the internet speed and giggling at almost 2000Mpbs speeds. I wonder if the VMs are capable of running something like COD or Cyberpunk maxed out at over 60fps. Or even MSFS2

Windows 2016
Standard HDD
NV Series Region
Microsoft Region List

NV6 is greyed out for the Free Trial unfortunately, perhaps PAYG is required to unlock.
Oh well :)

Your 56p per hour sounds awesome for the spec. I've only done about 5 minutes (doing speedtest mostly) and according the credits deducted that cost about 2p.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back