Last One To Post Here Wins Thread 3

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
woah Eagles finally resigned, I guess he knows that I'm going to be the real winner

Man of fish said:
woah Eagles finally resigned, I guess he knows that I'm going to be the real winner

Eagles surrendered, he did not resign, theres a difference ;)

Whatever happened to posting meaningful things that might be of interest to read?  Whatever happened to actually having something worth while to say besides... I'm the last... or I'm winning...

Raise your game people, or the thread may just disappear and then no one wins.  :p

Was watching the movie "The Terminal" with Tom hanks, decided to look up if this is a true story or not.

Was the movie based on a true story?

It's not so much based on a true story as it is inspired by a true story. The true story was of Merhan Nasseri who lived at Charles DeGaulle Airport from August 1988 to August 2006, when he was taken from the terminal due to an illness. An Iranian political refugee, Nasseri became stuck when his refugee certification documents were stolen from him in France, en route from Belgium to England. Without the papers, he was unable to enter England; Belgium did not permit refugees to return once they had left the country; and France would not allow him to stay because he could not prove his identity. As such, he became stuck at the airport. In 1995, an attorney persuaded Belgium to reissue his identity papers, but the government insisted he present himself in person. Later, they agreed to accept him as a resident, but Nasseri insisted he wanted to live in the UK. In 1999, France granted him residency, but he refused to sign the papers. He had begun to identify himself as "Sir, Alfred", based on a letter the British Government had sent him, even publishing an autobiography under that name. While never acknowledged in The Terminal publicity material or DVD, he was reportedly paid $250,000 by the producers. His story has also been told in the French movie Tombés du ciel (1993).

Quoted from IMDb wesite - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0362227/faq

I thought that was really interesting and hoping its of merit and trying to raise my game ;)

If you were to add up every single gift in the song ' 12 Days of Christmas ', you would find that the singer received 364 gifts. Lucky devil. :lol:

TallTree01 said:
If you were to add up every single gift in the song ' 12 Days of Christmas ', you would find that the singer received 364 gifts. Lucky devil.
laugh.png

huh.png

No, the total number of gifts given is actually 78......

You probably were thinking along the lines of

Partridges:         1 × 12 = 12

Doves:               2 × 11 = 22
Hens                  3 × 10 = 30
Calling birds:       4 × 9 = 36
Golden rings:       5 × 8 = 40
Geese:                 6 × 7 = 42
Swans:                7 × 6 = 42
Maids:                 8 × 5 = 40
Ladies:                9 × 4 = 36
Lords:                10 × 3 = 30
Pipers:               11 × 2 = 22
Drummers:         12 × 1 = 12

Total =           364

But imho the true number of gift given is as mentioned is 78 since the reciever only recieved these gifts once, not how many times the gifts were sung during each day from Christmas day, hope that makes sense.

Would be a bit silly i would have thought to have a partridge given every day for 12 days, and 2 doves given every day for 11 days etc etc

Thats my interpretation of that song anyway
tongue2.gif

EDIT - have sung that song in my head several times, dunno now.....the more i think of it the more am getting a headache :x

But the song does go as

On the first day of Christmas
my true love sent to me:
A Partridge in a Pear Tree

On the second day of Christmas
my true love sent to me:
Two Turtle Doves
and a Partridge in a Pear Tree

On the third day of Christmas
my true love sent to me:
Three French Hens
Two Turtle Doves

etc etc

So on each day these gifts are given..... great question TT :lol:

Ch4rlie said:
If you were to add up every single gift in the song ' 12 Days of Christmas ', you would find that the singer received 364 gifts. Lucky devil. :lol:

:huh:

No, the total number of gifts given is actually 78......

You probably were thinking along the lines of

Partridges:         1 × 12 = 12

Doves:               2 × 11 = 22
Hens                  3 × 10 = 30
Calling birds:       4 × 9 = 36
Golden rings:       5 × 8 = 40
Geese:                 6 × 7 = 42
Swans:                7 × 6 = 42
Maids:                 8 × 5 = 40
Ladies:                9 × 4 = 36
Lords:                10 × 3 = 30
Pipers:               11 × 2 = 22
Drummers:         12 × 1 = 12

Total =           364

But imho the true number of gift given is as mentioned is 78 since the reciever only recieved these gifts once, not how many times the gifts were sung during each day from Christmas day, hope that makes sense.

Would be a bit silly i would have thought to have a partridge given every day for 12 days, and 2 doves given every day for 11 days etc etc

Thats my interpretation of that song anyway :p

EDIT - have sung that song in my head several times, dunno now.....the more i think of it the more am getting a headache :x

But the song does go as

On the first day of Christmas
my true love sent to me:
A Partridge in a Pear Tree

On the second day of Christmas
my true love sent to me:
Two Turtle Doves

On the third day of Christmas
my true love sent to me:
Three French Hens
Two Turtle Doves

etc etc

So on each day these gifts are given..... great question TT :lol:
But, assuming that as he said that on the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th, 9th, 10th, 11th and 12th day of Christmas his true love gave to him a partridge in a pear tree. Therefore at the end of the twelth day he would have 12 partridges in 12 pear trees. I have no idea what someone would want with 12 partridges in 12 pear trees. :dunno:
He explicitly states that he was sent a partridge in a pear tree by his true love on all 12 of the days of Christmas. He was sent a partridge and a pair tree 12 times on seperate days. Think of the shipping costs. :crazy:
Likewise he would have 22 turtle doves, 30 French hens, 36 calling birds, 40 Rings, 42 geese, 42 swans, 40 maids, 36 ladies, 30 lords, 22 pipers and 12 drummers.
Imagine Christmas dinner at his place with all that delicious poultry.
It is definitely a very controversial matter and I fear we may never have a clear answer.

True, what about the pear tree, was a pear tree given everytime a partridge was given?

Then if taking that point, the receiver would be given 12 pear trees, taking the total up to 376 gifts :huh:

I think the partridge was attached to the pear and thus it would count as one gift. Hence the lyrics are a " partridge in a pear tree " not " and a pear tree. "

Now that I think about it The 12 Days of Christmas is very ambiguous... :

TallTree01 said:
Now that I think about it The 12 Days of Christmas is very ambiguous... :

Exactly my point  :nod:

reading that has give me quite the headache.

Man of fish said:

Fun headache though :lol:

Have to say that was a lot more entertaining than the usual "I'm winning" or " Am last to post!" kinda comments wouldn't you say?

Ch4rlie said:

Fun headache though :lol:

Have to say that was a lot more entertaining than the usual "I'm winning" or " Am last to post!" kinda comments wouldn't you say?
yes I would need to agree.

if anybody needs a simple and cheap Christmas gift idea- candle making. I've recently started to do this. $2-$3 to make give them 2-3 of them and bam no need to spend $20/$30 on something expensive and its more heartfelt that you made it. and you choose the scent and colors.

Do you realize that tomorrow is Christmas Eve?! :hyper:
Tis for me anyway.

Sucks for you guys, I get christmas before you. :p

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back