Last One To Post Here Wins Thread 3

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
any ideas y a mollie would  beat up another mollie lust cuz i added a male? the one is severly brused

My fish eat other fish 
cool1.gif

SeanTrollope said:
any ideas y a mollie would  beat up another mollie lust cuz i added a male? the one is severly brused

This is actually worthy of its own thread, but I'll answer it here:

Male mollies are very territorial with other males, in terms of mating rights.  Its not a huge deal, most of the time if you have a big enough tank and cover for the 'loser' to be able to withdraw and get away from the other.  Usually these squabbles are a lot of posturing, and very little actual violence, but can become violent.  For that reason, it is generally recommended that male livebearers (such as mollies) be kept in no fewer than 3 individuals so that no single male will be able to beat up on any other single male without some other fish to distract him from his target.  In other words, one male will only beat up another as long as there isn't another male in need of being 'put in his place'.  So, having sufficient number of males or females to distract the 'bully' can lead to trouble.  Also, it is a great benefit to have cover for the other fish to take refuge in if they feel the need to.

As for the rest of you:  Shame on you for not answering this question and posting nonsense.  :no:  Disappointing to say the least.

eaglesaquarium said:

Male mollies are very territorial with other males, in terms of mating rights.  Its not a huge deal, most of the time if you have a big enough tank and cover for the 'loser' to be able to withdraw and get away from the other.  Usually these squabbles are a lot of posturing, and very little actual violence, but can become violent.  For that reason, it is generally recommended that male livebearers (such as mollies) be kept in no fewer than 3 individuals so that no single male will be able to beat up on any other single male without some other fish to distract him from his target.  In other words, one male will only beat up another as long as there isn't another male in need of being 'put in his place'.  So, having sufficient number of males or females to distract the 'bully' can lead to trouble.  Also, it is a great benefit to have cover for the other fish to take refuge in if they feel the need to.

As for the rest of you:  Shame on you for not answering this question and posting nonsense.  
no.gif
 Disappointing to say the least.

Id like to humbly apologize as i dont know much about mollies, except that they are occasionally on the menu for my gars 
ninja.gif
 which pertains to my comment right :D

well I tried to step up my game then I had to go and take my tank a part due to a worm outbreak abd I wasn't in a game stepping up mood. the 16 not 120 at least. it's completely apart and I hae pieces of it to clean everyday this week (since I only have about an hour and a half of sunlight by the time I'm home from school) today I knocked out the tank and main equipment, heater and return pumps.

Man of fish said:
well I tried to step up my game then I had to go and take my tank a part due to a worm outbreak abd I wasn't in a game stepping up mood. the 16 not 120 at least. it's completely apart and I hae pieces of it to clean everyday this week (since I only have about an hour and a half of sunlight by the time I'm home from school) today I knocked out the tank and main equipment, heater and return pumps.

Merely sharing your frustration would have been 'raising your game' - like this :good:  

Sorry for your troubles though. :sad:

Does anyone have any plants they want to get rid of? Low tech plants would be best. The U.S only please. 
yes.gif

Have i won yet???

I would send some but I don't have any left!! don't do fresh anynore!

TallTree01 said:
Hmm, yes. I s'pose so. I'll do it here so everyone can give me hell for it.
tongue2.gif

TallTree's Pro and Con List of Introducing Foreign Shrimp into His Native Shrimp Tank
Pros:
~ Cheaper to buy foreigners
~ Foreign ones are a bit more colorful
~ They will be easier to keep ( I'm guessing )
~ I can get them locally rather than mucking about with shipping tropical shrimp in winter.

Cons:
~ I think my native shrimp will be mad at me
~ The whole purpose of the tank was to be a native tank

The list doesn't lie... I want to get foreigners... But I also don't want to get foreigners.
shout.gif
get another tank that is smaller so u look at the big tank more and you still get to see the "more to look at" thing
eaglesaquarium said:

As for the rest of you:  Shame on you for not answering this question and posting nonsense.  
no.gif
 Disappointing to say the least.

the femails were fine together and now the one is dead cus i addes a male and the male dident even get involved cuz he is alot smaller than the femails
Ch4rlie said:

My fish eat other fish 
cool1.gif

My snails eats other snails 
cool1.gif

My snails eat fish
cool1.gif

ow and by the way othe other femail is perfectly fine

Malex530 said:

Does anyone have any plants they want to get rid of? Low tech plants would be best. The U.S only please. 
yes.gif

Have i won yet???

There is a 'WANTED' section Mal.  

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/forum/126-wanted/

I have 111 views but no replies, ive tried the wanted section. 

Sorry.  

If you can wait a few months, I might have some java fern, but right now they are 'plantlets'.  I was just pointing out the section, as there may be more views there than in the middle of this thread.

eaglesaquarium said:

Just to add, in my experience, this behaviour isn't exclusive to male mollies. As it goes, I've had more aggressive female mollies than males - including females that would attack males. Mollies are just nasty fish on the whole, so the bigger group size, the better, assuming you have the room in your tank.

the_lock_man said:

Just to add, in my experience, this behaviour isn't exclusive to male mollies. As it goes, I've had more aggressive female mollies than males - including females that would attack males. Mollies are just nasty fish on the whole, so the bigger group size, the better, assuming you have the room in your tank.

I wouldn't call them 'nasty'.
sad.png
 They were my favorite fish as a kid, and the black mollies still hold a very special place in my heart.  

So there.
tongue2.gif

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back