last desperate plead for common snails

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

johnq

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
My supply of snails have been lost to nature. There isnt a snail to be found in my pond and im worried about my little puffers. Ive looked everywere. i dont want them to die.

Does your LFS not have any snails they could give you? My LFS gives them me all the time...

I have them in a breeding trap in the large tank and I let them breed... That way I have a constant supply for my puffs

:) Buy some plants from your LFS they are sure to bring all sorts of snails on them

I put them in a plastic breeding trap that you would use to put a pregnant fish in... Available at all LFS. Then I chuck some cucumber slices in and leave them too it. Works a treat.

I have a picture somewhere in the members aquarium pics bit.

And yeah - they are only about 7in by 3 in, so would just float in the corner of a 20 gall!

JobySp, I was thinking of doing just that to breed snails for my puffers. Do the breeder snails ever climb out of the breeding trap? I wondered whether being that close to the light with no hiding places would be a problem. Do you provide hiding places or shade for them? I figured some chunks of opaque one inch pipe would work well.

What kind of reproduction rate do you get out of your snails?

Thanks,
Chris

JobySp said:
Does your LFS not have any snails they could give you? My LFS gives them me all the time...

I have them in a breeding trap in the large tank and I let them breed... That way I have a constant supply for my puffs
My lfs gives me snails when I need them, but I also just have a glass with water and pieces of plants in it and they breed that way too. The breeder thing is a good idea too!

From one snail there must have been 100s of eggs within a week of me putting it in there.

As for them escaping... Because they are so small when they are babies, they manage to get out of the tine slats at the bottom... You could always cover them up?

I never give them hiding holes but sometimes they congregate under the cucumber that I drop in there for them!

I think a breeding net would work as well if the netting is very very fine.

If you are going to feed them pond snails then you can keep them in any sort of container really as long as you water change and keep an airated lid on!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back