largemouth bass

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

GuppyBreeder180604

Fishaholic
Reaction score
hi, i want a large mouth and i want to know if a 530 gallon tank with a 10x per hour filtration system is good enough. There are largemouths in my area so i know that my water parameters are good for them i also have a 55 gallon ready for breeding feeder fish, i am thinking a few species of goodeids (that is what i have in my area) and also freezed shrimp and tilapia (they are cheap in my area), so what do you think? and also any tips and tricks on keeping bass?
Thanks everyone.

I'm only guessing, but I think a bass or two would be fine in a 530 gallon. (you have a 530 gallon??? o_O) I've kept bass in a pond before and spent a lot of time watching them (and trying to catch them in the local lake). They are really pretty fish, surprisingly intelligent, voracious eaters. My pond fish sort of hung out together, but didn't really school, so it might be worth trying a few together, but I guess a single one would be OK. They like cover, especially floating or emergent plants. In a tank that big, you could grow some water lilies and really make them happy.

Good luck--it will be interesting to see what you come up with.

I'm only guessing, but I think a bass or two would be fine in a 530 gallon. (you have a 530 gallon??? o_O) I've kept bass in a pond before and spent a lot of time watching them (and trying to catch them in the local lake). They are really pretty fish, surprisingly intelligent, voracious eaters. My pond fish sort of hung out together, but didn't really school, so it might be worth trying a few together, but I guess a single one would be OK. They like cover, especially floating or emergent plants. In a tank that big, you could grow some water lilies and really make them happy.

Good luck--it will be interesting to see what you come up with.
thanks. i will try to upload some pics once i catch one.

@GuppyBreeder180604 it will be fine bass are pretty sedentary, being ambush predators, the guy at my fishing tackle shop has a large bass in his tank its about 43cm long and its been living in the tank for 7 years, no problem. his tank is around 300L and its fine for the bass. put lots of wood and sand bottom or alternatively a no substrate bottom. feed the bass lots of protein type food like squid and fish. I wouldn't feed live food to the bass as that creates a chase and that has the possibility of injuring the fish or breaking your decor.

squid fishing bait you just unfreeze and the bass will recognize you and the food and eat it out of your hand.
Also, make sure you have a canopy on the tank as bass to jump and can defiantly jump out your tank.

Oh, one other thing: Check with your local game warden or fisheries biologist first. I don't know how it is in Mexico, but most USA states frown on keeping game fish in captivity without a permit.

Oh, one other thing: Check with your local game warden or fisheries biologist first. I don't know how it is in Mexico, but most USA states frown on keeping game fish in captivity without a permit.
I highly doubt Mexico has regulations on a non-endangered fish such as a bass. my cursory googling has not found any details about any permits.

I highly doubt Mexico has regulations on a non-endangered fish such as a bass. my cursory googling has not found any details about any permits.
I suspect you're right. Worth checking though. I hear those Mexican prisons aren't fun. :lol:

@GuppyBreeder180604 it will be fine bass are pretty sedentary, being ambush predators, the guy at my fishing tackle shop has a large bass in his tank its about 43cm long and its been living in the tank for 7 years, no problem. his tank is around 300L and its fine for the bass. put lots of wood and sand bottom or alternatively a no substrate bottom. feed the bass lots of protein type food like squid and fish. I wouldn't feed live food to the bass as that creates a chase and that has the possibility of injuring the fish or breaking your decor.

squid fishing bait you just unfreeze and the bass will recognize you and the food and eat it out of your hand.
Also, make sure you have a canopy on the tank as bass to jump and can defiantly jump out your tank.
300 liters? i tought the 2000 liters was small!
also thanks for the advice on live food

i just checked the law and i can only keep up to 5 wild fish of the same species and they have to be over 2kg in weight, this excludes invasive species so in theory with a big enough pond i could keep 5 largemouths, 5 green sunfish, 5 rio verde catfish, 5 gar, 5 of each of the predatory cichlids in my area and an indeterminate amount of yellow perch, tilapia, channel catfish, carp, and smallmouths since they are not native.

i just checked the law and i can only keep up to 5 wild fish of the same species and they have to be over 2kg in weight, this excludes invasive species so in theory with a big enough pond i could keep 5 largemouths, 5 green sunfish, 5 rio verde catfish, 5 gar, 5 of each of the predatory cichlids in my area and an indeterminate amount of yellow perch, tilapia, channel catfish, carp, and smallmouths since they are not native.
nice though I recommend only having 1 gender of bass or you will have so much spawned fry.

nice though I recommend only having 1 gender of bass or you will have so much spawned fry.
When we stocked our pond with bass, the fish biologist said they couldn't spawn in a small pond because they need running water to spawn. He was mistaken! :fish::fish::fish::fish::fish::fish::fish::fish:

However, I think that in a pond with bass, green sunfish, cichlids, gar, and channel catfish, you aren't going to have too much problem with fry overpopulation. :lol:

When we stocked our pond with bass, the fish biologist said they couldn't spawn in a small pond because they need running water to spawn. He was mistaken! :fish::fish::fish::fish::fish::fish::fish::fish:

However, I think that in a pond with bass, green sunfish, cichlids, gar, and channel catfish, you aren't going to have too much problem with fry overpopulation. :lol:
once i move to the country side i am going to build an almos lake and fill it ith all these fish to see how they look. I think it will look amazing

If I had a pond with native wild fish, I wouldn't worry about keeping fish for looks (i.e. ornamental garden ponds) rather I'd be fishing for dinner in it LOL...

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back