LyraGuppi

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Hi fishkeepers! I'm on a mobile device right now, do excuse me if I have autocorrect moments. :D

I have a sorority betta, Lapis, that is getting some bullying. She's going into the solo life in her own 5gal. I know, 5gal are a bit small, but she is a juvenile. Not baby, just young adult.

I hope to get some pics in later, but my plans for this tank is...

Small sponge filter: I'll add a link and picture later. To be bought.
Small heater: Ditto. ^^^^^^^ To be bought.
5 gallon tank: Included with water! :lol:
Medium size gravel: About half the size of normal gravel, brown in color. About an inch and a half.
Small Mopani driftwood: Estimating, around 8 inches? Very nice coloration.
Java Ferns: to tie on the Mopani.

I've soaked the Mopani but it's still got some tannins, and I plan to add IAL for extra tannins. If this turns out like a blackwater tank, I will be so happy! :wub:

5 gallons is actually a good size for a single betta :) Male or female.

Look forward to reading about this!! 

Looking forward to some pics,
I added IAL tea bag to my tank and to be honest I like that darkish water look, ( I know in my thread you cant see the darkish water in the photo Lyra  
rofl.gif
  )

5 gallon tank: Included with water!
Yes water is a good thing to put in a tank.

When Moderator Charlie told me to put ferts in my tank I was like, Why would I put a ferret in the tank? Wont it drown?

5 gallons is actually a good size for a single betta
smile.png
Male or female.
After putting my guy in a 15 gallon tank I respectfully disagree.

Lapis may move out of it when she grows, IDK.

:lol: Yes, ferrets are true aquatic species that aid in your plant's growth.

LyraGuppi said:
I have a sorority betta, Lapis, that is getting some bullying. She's going into the solo life in her own 5gal.
Yay for Lapis! Im sure she will be happy :)

NickAu said:

smile.png
Male or female.
I agree with both of you, :D. I have 2 bettas in a divided 10 gallon, I feel bad for my female because she had it to herself up until Sunday and I know she enjoyed the space. But at the same time my male seems to be enjoying all the extra space he has now, seeing as he was living in a cup and then in a 2.5gallon quarentine tank. So personally I would say a 5 is good but more is always better haha.

I don't care if these pics are huge, I'm tired of resizing...
nugget.gif

Beware, this topic will get picture heavy fast.

Here is a blurry pic of Lapis... You can see her not MG coloration, correction! I failed in discerning her color
biggrin.png

You can also see her bad shape.

IMG_2241_zpsc1d3f95e_1.jpg

I'll get some better ones later
sick.gif

Here is the ancient 5 gallon I'll be using, and another Lapis.
IMG_2242_zpse6d8ecb9_1.jpg

IMG_2230_zps9a1ed975_1.jpg

Woah, those are huge D:
Here is a few pics of the Mopani...my favorite piece so far :D
IMG_2231_zps85bec39f_1.jpg

IMG_2232_zpsad025406_1.jpg

And a mystery hand for size...
IMG_2233_zpsb0bd9359_1.jpg

AAAAAnd here in the arrangement it's gonna have in the tank, with and without lights. Excuse the toilet.
IMG_2236_zps1357da90_1.jpg

IMG_2237_zps86399c40_1.jpg

That's all for now, folks!
Question, could I soak the new filter sponge in the 10 gallon for it to "get" bacteria? Is that a thing?

Note: Lapis is pretty small, so I may upgrade her to a 10 gallon once she's a bit bigger and healed. A 5 gallon is better than a 20 gallon shark tank. :D

starlitsunrise said:

I have a sorority betta, Lapis, that is getting some bullying. She's going into the solo life in her own 5gal.
Yay for Lapis! Im sure she will be happy
smile.png

NickAu said:

smile.png
Male or female.
I agree with both of you,
biggrin.png
. I have 2 bettas in a divided 10 gallon, I feel bad for my female because she had it to herself up until Sunday and I know she enjoyed the space. But at the same time my male seems to be enjoying all the extra space he has now, seeing as he was living in a cup and then in a 2.5gallon quarentine tank. So personally I would say a 5 is good but more is always better haha.

The reason I say a 5 gallon is a good size is because I have had betta's who love space and bettas who stress out in anything bigger than 5 gallons. I consider 5 gallons to minimum and if planted out correctly, etc. they are really nice set ups. I have my boy in my 2ft 70ltr(15 gallon) tank but he was moved up from a 5.5 gallon when I sold the 5.5 gallon. He was happy in both though :) I also have a rescue boy in QT which is another 5.5 gallon tank and he was kept in a 100ltr tank before I got him - He was tail nipping, hiding, etc. just did not like it at all. Now he's out all the time and eating properly :)

Please do not think I was being pushy or rude with my 10 gal min comment, Sorry if I offended.

Lyra I just painted the back of my tank black, Might be worthwhile considering before you set it all up, I just used some water based flat black and a paint roller.

Nice looking tank I was thinking about 1 of those before I got this one.

NickAu said:
Please do not think I was being pushy or rude with my 10 gal min comment, Sorry if I offended.

Lyra I just painted the back of my tank black, Might be worthwhile considering before you set it all up, I just used some water based flat black and a paint roller.

Nice looking tank I was thinking about 1 of those before I got this one.

Oh no :) I don't think you were and I agree bigger is better :) Well, for most betta's anyway lol. Like I said, I moved my boy up from a 5.5 gallon to a 15 gallon and he's loving life. But the other betta I rescued is much better suited to a smaller tank from what I've seen since having him :)

Omigosh the water looks like tea. XD

The journal has come to a temporary halt as I have to buy the filter and such.

Again, this'll be paused for a while.

I need to:
Set up the 45 gallon
Buy my T2's
THEN this tank.

I have a heater!

But not much still..the 10 gallon NEEDS maintenance, so it's....

10 gallon re-scape and maintenace
Order in filter and get the T2s
CYCLE (Oh...I hate this step...)

Aaaaand the 90 gallon may come in in there, but I think not, as the dad wants a different filter *sigh*

OOOOOOOkay, I saw Lapis looking soooo sad. Her scales on her head were scuffed, her fins were a wreck, and she's being lethargic. I'll gonna see if I can find a divider or breeding box today. If I'm lucky, a sponge filter.

Just a breeding box, kinda small but will serve the purpose.

Oh...And Miss Lapis might be a young Mr. Lapis...

Her ovipositor's shrunk, and I can see a beard peeking out from under the gill plates. Maybe he/she's a young CT Plakat?
online2long.gif

I've posted a thread above cycling. :D

Her fins have gotten some growth on them. :)
(I think it is a she)
ShapeofLapis_zps195aaf72.jpg

Tank is hopefully going to be scaped by Sunday.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back