Lamprologus Multifasciatus And Ocellatus

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Truck

UKAPS
Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm really interested in getting a pair or trio of either species and was wondering what the minimum tank size as, I've seen people keep them in 30 and 40 litre tanks, I and I am on the market for a new tank in that size range and was wondering if it was possible to keep them in a tank of that size? Does foot print matter?

EDIT:

I have been asking around and most people say 10 gallons for a species only tank.

Does anyone have any Ideas on numbers? and of what sex?

a pair or trio (1m 2f) should do well in a 10 gallon tank.. ocellatus are very agressive and need a fair bit of territory compared to multis..

Multies it is then, now I just need to buy the tank, hopefully my mother will let me with it being small
rolleyes.gif

do they like flow? I don't know whether to go for a Fluval U1 or U2, I'm inclined to go with a U2

an 18" tank is fine for multies, dont go with the U series, truck, imo they are too bulky, look at the old plus series.

Cool, I may go and get a clear seal 18*12*12 today then, along with a fluval 2+

being from a lake they won't like too much flow, although saying that a bit of flow wouldnt do too much harm.. just prevent dead spots from forming around the tank i guess. whats the perimeters of the tap water where you are?

Theres been a change of plan, I'm getting rid of my Rio 125, and getting my old rekord 60 out, I just need to sort lighting out, and I will be using the stock filter (280LPH).

These are the parameters

[font="arial][color="#57595B"]
[/color][/font]
[/color][/font]
[font="arial][color="#57595B"]Hardness Clark12.01 [/color][/font]
[/color][/font]
[font="arial][color="#57595B"]Hardness French 17.16 [/color][/font]
[/color][/font]
Degrees Hardness German 9.61

you can probably get away with keeping them in plain tap water, and no coral sand/ocean rock/ whatever, i just prefer to use a few things to ensure the ph and hardness is up.

I'm going to use my own PH buffer, But the thing is I need to raise the PH slowly so that the bacteria don't lie dormant, over what kind of period do you think I should do it?

You add 1tsp of Bicarb and 1 tsp of tonic salt to every 5 gallons, is that US gallons (25litres?)

What I can do is raise it over a few days, I'll make up a batch of mixture (enough for 14 US gallons) and add a tenth of it each day until it's gone, that way there should be no problems.

Can't wait to get this underway.

You add 1tsp of Bicarb and 1 tsp of tonic salt to every 5 gallons, is that US gallons (25litres?)

What I can do is raise it over a few days, I'll make up a batch of mixture (enough for 14 US gallons) and add a tenth of it each day until it's gone, that way there should be no problems.

Can't wait to get this underway.
yes, but also the 1sp of epsom salts(magnesium sulphate) too, its US gals, well, i presume so.

yea, im gonna make a liquid batch of it, wasnt sure whether i should use ro water or not though

I suppose you could use that car battery acid stuff, DI water, can't see what is wrong with tap though, I'll make a batch up and add some every day, just to avoid any unwanted situations.

Most reactions

Back