Lampeye Breeding Behaviour~Do You Know...?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

RCA

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Following the arrival of my Lampeye fry, today I noticed interesting behaviour with what appears a male and female chasing other fish away from a particular spot. After watching for sometime, I notice the male in particular appears to be guarding an area of the tank which has Ricca Fluitans tightly "knitted" together at the top.

There appears to be very little information regarding the breeding behaviour of these fish, however, I did come across this interesting forum discussion on the subject.

I have videoed the behaviour tonight, and will watch for it again tomorrow, prior to confirming that it does appear that they are potentially guarding eggs.

Has anyone got experience of breeding these delightful fish, and their behaviour?
Is it possible for them to lay their eggs in floating plants vs scattering them?

I'd be interested to know this. Mine have been spending a lot of time around a lump of Java moss at the top of the tank. The rummynose tetras - which are like vultures whenever my cories spawn - have been hanging around there too, and the lampeyes chase them away. I did wonder whether there might be something going on up there.

How did you get on?

It is interesting as I have observed this behaviour a number of times. I have also noted that other small fish will hang below the Ricca that is floating. They appear to be watching with the occasional "gobbling" of something but have not seen any further fry as yet. Although I did discover two eggs, nothing came of them.

I have been doing some research and came across the term crevice breeders, which do guard their fry. Let's keep observing ours and see what we can discover of their breeding behaviour. Keep me posted on yours and I will do likewise.

That is very interesting! It's sounds like you're seeing the same behaviour as I am.

Do you know anything about gender ratios in lampeyes? I have created another thread but haven't received any replies yet. Following the purchase of some more lampeyes on Friday, I now have 6 males and 4 females. I'm concerned that this may cause trouble. Do you know anything about this?

Sorry I do not know for sure. Generally speaking though with most fish you are better having more females to males. The exception to this general rule is Corydoras, where more males are required, they are a bit lazy I think ;). That said, I would not worry too much as they are egg layers vs live bearers so they are not like the male guppies who harass females constantly. The female egg layer needs to be full of eggs then I believe the male will be "invited" into the ritual. Alas, there is very little about the breeding of these wonderful fish, so we will need to learn as we go along and document it for the benefit of others hopefully.

Ok thanks. I'll have to wait and see how they get on when I release them into the main tank and go from there. They appear to be bickering a bit in the breeding box but nothing severe, just a bit of chasing. They're limited for space in there in comparison to what they'll have in the main tank though.

No you're right there isn't much information available. Let me know how you get on and I'll keep you posted too. They are lovely little fish, with a lot of character!

I concur, lovely fish. Some of mine have now really coloured up to a sort of yellow/green hue. In addition some appear to have longer fins, very pretty for what normally appears to be a fairly subtle looking fish. I saw two males sparring the other day, just like the Pencilfish do, looked stunning with full colour. Will try and get some pics/video of all of the above, although not always easy.

My adults are that colour. I have a photo of the male, but it really doesn't do him justice. It's also a poor quality photo. The silver is like an iridescent rainbow colour in the light. I installed a different t5 tube last week which is red and blue. It shows the colours off even more!

image.jpeg

Not a bad photo considering how fast they are, but you get what I mean about how beautifully "bland" they are, not ;)

It took a few attempts to get that one, iPhones aren't exactly SLRs either! They're certainly not bland haha :)

This and your other recent threads and replies sparked an interest in me for Lampeyes and today I took delivery of ten juvenile/sub adults. They all arrived via next day courier alive and healthy and are settled in a 42ltr.

I have to agree... lovely iridescent little fish in subtle greens/blues.

Wow Pete, that is awesome, you will find them lovely fascinating little fish. I hope they breed for you as well. Got a picture of them in their new home?
Flubberlump said:
It took a few attempts to get that one, iPhones aren't exactly SLRs either! They're certainly not bland haha :)
Indeed, fellow Lampeye fan.

I will take some photos over the weekend... so bear with... Photobucket always gives me problems !!! 

Gave them a feed of microworms earlier and they're all looking lively and healthy.

Great thanks, PM me if you need photobucket help so I do not detract from topic here ;)
They will love microworms, I give mine BBS as my worm culture died before I got chance to start another.
Where did you get them from i,e, which LFS?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back