Lamp Eyes

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Ps3Steveo

Planted Experimentalist
Reaction score
Just a quick question as I never kept them before, do they have a habit of jumping at all as mine are in an open top tank?

All killies are notoriously great jumpers. I would suggest getting some sort of lid.

I have a question regarding Lampeyes too so hope it gets spotted here rather than starting another thread.

I'm hoping for an answer from an experienced long-term owner. Do they stay close to the top, as the ones I've seen in my LFS, or do they tend to roam around?

I'm looking for a small fish that will stay very close to the surface, certainly the top third at the lowest, that doesn't mind a reasonably high flow rate from the filter (though that's flexible at the flick of a switch of course). I don't like Hatchets but these guys are kinda cool. I've read that, like many fish, they tend to look even better once settled in to a home aquarium.

I don't know about lampeyes but golden wonders tend to usually hang out a the surface.

Cheers mate, I appreciate the response. I'm just forward planning at the moment so I've got time to check out any suggestions. :)

How do they get on with shrimp? I noticed you had them in with shrimp in your tank Steveo, did they decimate the population or exist peacefully with them?

Mine stay around the middle too. Not kept them with shrimp yet but they're so small I can't see them eating anything but shrimplets. I wouldn't take that as gospel though!

The problem you'll have is defining 'lampeyes'. There are lots of different species with very different behavior. Which one are you looking at?
My Procatopus aberrans aren't great jumpers, but I keep the tank covered. The most common lampeye around here, Poropanchax normanni, will jump readily.
My Lacustricola hug the surface, my Procatopus cruise the middle and my Poropanchax lean towards the surface but do cruise around the middle. They're all fairly different.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back