Lake Tanganikyan Setup- Updated Pics

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

rossyboy

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hey guys thought i'd show you a few pics of my tank now i've moved things about slightly and also would like to show you pics of how my fishies are doing :)

Well the tanks going great since I got rid of the Malawis and decided to stick just with Tanganikyans and it gives me a better opportunity to do more 'aqua scaping' with rocks/caves/etc as you'll see below.

Here is a pic of about 2 weeks ago, when i Decided to add some strange yet attractive Red/Orange rock (not sure of the name)-
DSC00797.jpg

Anyway I decided I didn't like the rock after a while as it 'stuck out' a bit too much from the rest of the rocks/slate and besides that wasted a lot of space. So here's my improved design, it's sort of back to how it was before the red rock with a few adjustments... i.e Legdes extending out from the left and right of the cave wall.

The Tank

Main Pic
DSC00858.jpg

Left Ledge
DSC00863.jpg

Right Ledge
DSC00859.jpg

Improved Shelly area
DSC00860.jpg

DSC00888.jpg

The Fish

Neolamprologus Brevis (We have eggs... i think)
DSC00818.jpg

DSC00860.jpg

DSC00868.jpg

DSC00888.jpg

Neolamprologus Leleupi (I have two, who've both grown loads)
Showing his black masculinity-
DSC00885.jpg

DSC00805.jpg

Neolamprologus Brichardi (2 Juveniles who again have grown a lot)

With this fish I was wandering if anyone in the 'know' could help, one of the pair is much broader and 'fuller' than the other in terms of body shape could this be a male and female pair? See if yu can help from the pics below, apologies for the quality...

The Skinnier of the pair-
DSC00898.jpg

DSC00861.jpg

Fully bodied fish
DSC00810.jpg

DSC00865.jpg

Gold Head Compressicep (My favourites)
I think this is the female-
DSC00813.jpg

The dominant male-
DSC00873.jpg

I also have another one which is just a juvenile but I couldn't catch him for a photo :(

Julidochromis marlieri (1 adult, 1 juvenile)
DSC00876.jpg

Sorry for the pic overload but I just thought i'd share :)

Rossy

I like the new look. The red rock did stick out quite a bit, didn't they :)

The only thing is, it looks like some of the slate could just fall over if fish bumped/ran into/or dug nearby. How do you make sure it's stable? Did you glue a few pieces?

I like the new look. The red rock did stick out quite a bit, didn't they :)

The only thing is, it looks like some of the slate could just fall over if fish bumped/ran into/or dug nearby. How do you make sure it's stable? Did you glue a few pieces?

Every piece of it is secured in by Black aquarium silicone

The only ones which aren't are the top pieces of slate which have been wedged into the background (made of foam) and weighted by the pebbles that are also siliconed down... so theres absolutely no danger of a rock fall so to speak. My Bristlenose regularly hovers them and feeds off them and they stay put .

:)

ooooh im in love! :D

the tank isnt bad, either! ;)

looks brilliant! Out of interest what size is your tank?

I am just about to convert my community tank to tangs and this is great inspiration to do it! I am currently siliconing my slate together as we speak as a first step.

How are you getting on with all of those different species together? no problems? What are your favourites and recommended ones? As I am looking at all of the same but obviously need to select only a few as my tank is only 29g.

looks brilliant! Out of interest what size is your tank?

I am just about to convert my community tank to tangs and this is great inspiration to do it! I am currently siliconing my slate together as we speak as a first step.

How are you getting on with all of those different species together? no problems? What are your favourites and recommended ones? As I am looking at all of the same but obviously need to select only a few as my tank is only 29g.

My tank is only approx 100 litres so not very big at all. It is slightly overstocked I appreciate, i'm currently looking to rehome one of the Leleupi but the rest are fine together, plenty of hiding spaces (if not too many) and i've added a 2nd internal filter... so one in each corner.

The water stays crystal clear without the help of any chemical agents, etc and all I do is a weekly 20% (ish) water change and stats which i test weekly are all spot on.

In terms of my fish getting along... they're all fine, helped a lot by most being from the same genus i.e altolamprologus. I used to have a brichardi in my old tang setup but unfortunately he passed away but they're by far my favourite fish for colour and they grow the most amazing razor teeth to graze on algae and sometimes to fight Mr Leleupi with too...or maybe compressicep for colour... hmm i duno lol

In terms of behaviour and personality I'd say my favourites are the Brevis, they're small but full of energy and never back down to even the most aggressive fish in the tank especially since they're breeding just now so they're super protective over there shells. Nastiest most evil fish are leleupi... they're heartless souls with no feelings but I guess that's just nature and he keeps the rest of the fish in check.

Sorry for the essay, feel free to ask me more stuff cuz I know how helpful it can be to speak to someone who keeps the same fish :)

Wow... Your tank looks great! I'm starting up a Tang aquarium myself but my aquascaping skills are so very lacking it's not even funny. But, I have plenty of time to learn. That's the great thing about being young. As long as you folks keep posting picture, i'll keep learning. In other words, keep up the great work!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back