Laetacara Curviceps- The Ultimate Dwarf Cichlid!

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

SamLovesCorys

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Somewhere in the middle of nowhere, Norfolk, UK
I got myself a pair yesterday, and they are awesome, so intelligent and attractive, and they look like they're smiling- hence the common name, Smiling Acara.
I've had no agression issues whatsoever so far. 8cm Max size... Perfect in every way!
If anyone's considering getting a Dwarf Cichlid, see if you can find yourself a couple of these... You won't be let down!

Sorry, just needed to tell someone how quality they are! My favourite fish no question.

Anyone else keep these?

Thanks, Sam

PS. Do you think it would be possible to breed these fish in Alkaline water?

Got any pictures? What are you keeping them with?

1 Red Honey Gourami; 6 Black neon Tetras; 5 Rummynose Tetras; 2 Guppies; 4 Sterbai Cories; 2 Three-line Cories; 1 Assassin Snail. I know it might seem overstocked, but it is well planted and has good filtration. I do a weekly water change, and clean the gravel at least twice a week.

Pics coming!

Double post

P1150259.jpg

The colours don't really come through in the image (bad camera+bad photography skills) but the fish is awesome!

I just googled em for a better picture ... very very cute :wub:

I've been fancying some GBR's for a while but I may take a look at these too - obviously for future reference. I'm fully stocked right now

I had a wild specimen once - beautiful fish, until it took offence to one of my angels and had to be rehomed - the angel still bares the scares from that encounter.

I just googled em for a better picture ... very very cute :wub:

I've been fancying some GBR's for a while but I may take a look at these too - obviously for future reference. I'm fully stocked right now

I'd say these are better than GBRs because GBRs are fragile, need very specific water conditions and high temperatures etc. These are a lot more versatile! Just an opinion

that makes me want to look for them more. I'm okay on water as my water here is soft - PH7 out of the tap but my cories like lower temps that the GBR's would prefer. My temp runs at about 24/5 normally and I could put it up to 26/7 if I got GBR's but my cories wouldn't be as active. Hmm ... I may see if I can find and lfs near me that has these so I can get a visual so-to-speak.
I'm waiting for my older palties to die of old age first so I have no idea how long I have

Nice fish but there not Curviceps there Laetacara dorsigera. Curviceps have one solid black line down them where as yours have half a line and 4-5 stripes. Thats what ive read anyway. I would expect its to colour up more in the next few days and show for sure.

I have always wanted some of these. I can never find them.

They are cute. I heard they can be shy?

Don't remember where and how come, but I've seen a picture of a smiling acara just a couple of days ago! I was thinking it would be nice to have a pair of those, they are very cute!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back