Laetacara Curvicep Cichlids

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

have you looked at the emperor tetra? They are a lovely bluey/purple - the kerri has gold fins and the palmeri have a trident tail. The kerri's are more peaceful than the palmeri. I have both in with my angels and they're fine together and too big to be eaten 

So sexing sounds a lot like telling Kribensis apart, right?

I don't know anything about Krib's DRay - I've never kept them. Sorry

they are supposed to be a schooling species but I've found the palmeri's don't school as much as the kerri's do. I've found both of these fish labelled as 'emperor tetra' but they are a seperate species.

Inpaichthys kerri is a large tetra with a light purple body and a dark purple/blue lateral line. The fins are yellow/orange. I found mine schooled well and bred easily and were laid back and easy going - non-aggressive or territorial.

Nematobrycom palmeri is the same size and body shape as the kerri with the same purple body and dark purple/blue lateral line but the fins are reasonably clear of colour but are extended and the tail is a trident tail - more pronounced in the male. Another strong characteristic is their eyes. The male has a piercing bright blue eye. The female's eye is green and her colours are more washed out. I've found my females have a tinge of green to the their bodies. The palmeri is mildly aggressive in comparison and will defend territory. For that reason they do not school - not from what I've seen anyway. They will breed easily in the aquarium

Hope that helps

Nice thread, Akasha. I particularly like the pic of the fry with the parent. I had never seen this type of cichlid before.

Saw about 5 at a fish store last weekend! Little guys, only a couple inches.

Haven't managed to get a decent shot of my female yet but here is the male. Took this day before yesterday, he's already colored up more (mainly pink on the chest) since this shot. Will keep trying to get a better one!

he's a beauty! Any sign of them pairing up or is it too soon?

Having never seen this Cichlid before, I drove 30 minutes yesterday to a local fish store I found out about. The owner had so many varieties of cichlids, including about 12 curviceps. They really are a pretty little fish. So I have a new favorite store. I found and bought Celestial Pearls ther as well.

They are swimming together, fronts are getting very pink and there's some definite 'dancing' for each other going on! I think I will be in luck! Don't want to count my chickens and all that though... Will wait and see of course. :)

aww my two used to 'dance'. I called it dancing too cos that's exactly what it looks like! My two don't dance much now since they had their falling out. She hides in the plants, he tries to seek her out, she bats him with her tail and darts off to another hiding spot :( It's really sad

Mine are doing fine in the big tank, no one is harassing them but I feel like they will never breed in there. I havea  15 gal long spare, do you think it would be big enough for them? The only other fish in it currently are a couple of cories and two neons.

hi, er gallons again ... what is it in litres? I think the minimum I'd keep them in for breeding would be around 2 and a half to 3ft - that's allowing for fry to grow out. 

It's very early days for them though - it took mine a while to get going with the breeding. Give them plenty of cover - plants, wood etc. Give them a flat surface too to lay eggs on and they might get the message. I'm glad to hear they are doing well though ... any new photo's of them?

My female is turning feisty again. I've been watching her telling off my angelfish this weekend - which is brave considering the angels are 3 times her size! I've seen more of her aswell in the last couple of weeks. She still likes to hide a lot but she is coming out into the open a little bit! That might be because the male also seems to be calming down. I think the angels have knocked him off his 'boss of the tank' perch lol

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back