L66 *and* L260?

pica_nuttalli

don't be a twit
Reaction score
Some of you may already know the saga, but I need to decide in the next couple of days on this issue...

Would it be an ok breeding practice to keep a group of L66 in the same tank as a group of L260s? Or is there too much of a risk of hybridization/misidentified fry?

Some of you may already know the saga, but I need to decide in the next couple of days on this issue...

Would it be an ok breeding practice to keep a group of L66 in the same tank as a group of L260s? Or is there too much of a risk of hybridization/misidentified fry?

Its a possibility as they are both Hypancistrus sp.
I've never read about a case of cross breeding hypancistrus.
That certainly doesn't meant it couldn't and hasn't happened...
Just that I haven't read about it :) - if you get my meaning.

I'd get what you can out of them and if you get any problems its a good excuse for a new tank :)

Hybrid hypan

as for the chances it will happen with your L66 and L260 nobody can say, i would guess not that likely due to L66's larger adult size, but that is just a guess.

well, would you guys feel comfortable keeping 4 of each (8 total) in my tank? i guess i'm just looking for permission to get them...

right now i just have the 3 L66 and that just doesn't seem very optimistic that i'll get at least one breeding pair. the odds would go up a fair bit if i got a 4th one and it just doesn't make sense to buy only one plec.

~2 inches and hiding :/ i was in a rush when i let them loose in the tank, so i didn't look carefully. (they're sexed by odontodes, right?)

not at that size i and not when fresh into the tank i dont think. body shape comes into play as well for sexing

although i am crap at sexing Hypans tbh, might wanna try getting some shots taken from above in some sort of temporary container and posting them at PC, although they may be a little young to tell yet.

once sexed you can then add to that group, a mixed group of 5 split say 2m/3f should give you a breeding pair once mature and conditioned.

Spawning log in which he does actually keep them with a group of QA's

<-- loves mike!

Thanks for the link; it was just what I needed to see!

Now let's just hope that the seller is still willing to give me a discount... :D

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back