Kuhli Substrate Suitability?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Bugdozer

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I have a two layer gravel substrate with some plant compost underneath. The middle layer of gravel is quite a rough sort, though light and easily moved. Would this be a problem for kuhli loaches to live in? I don't wnat them to get scratched as I know they like to burrow. Do they also uproot plants?

I have a two layer gravel substrate with some plant compost underneath. The middle layer of gravel is quite a rough sort, though light and easily moved. Would this be a problem for kuhli loaches to live in? I don't wnat them to get scratched as I know they like to burrow. Do they also uproot plants?

Kuhlis don't really burrow as much, they just like to stick their noses deep down into the sand to find food nibblets. If its rounded gravel its fine, but kuhlis really should be put in a sand substrate as it is more natural for them and allows them to root around. IME, kuhlis will never uproot plants.

Unlike weather loaches... Mines always digging and burrowing. Hes 6-7 inches too.

Mine always liked to burrow under different things. I also never had an issue with them uprooting or harming plants.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back