Kribs stranger behaviour

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

ivanpz6

Reaction score
Hello guys, im from Bulgaria and have a problem with my kribs.
In my main aquarium 175 l i hqve 3 pairs of kribs.. 2 of the pairs its looks like are mates.. They swiming together. They have cocunut shellf's... Vibratin each others... But dont have fry yet. Fishes are 8 mounth old with amazing coloring.. Before 2 days i put one pair in 55l aquarium. Everythin was good, but today i see the male stay near to the top of the water... He didn't eat. His poop is white and long.. It doesn't like he is ill.. Sorry for my bad english.

Изпратено от моят SNE-LX1 с помощта на Tapatalk

Its okay, your English is impressive for your conditions I think! :) Anyways, if he isn't eating and is inactive, then he has internal parasites, plus the white stringy poop.

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

How long has the 55 litre tank been set up for?
How often do you do water changes on it?

Have you tested the water for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate & pH?
If yes, what are the results in numbers?
If no, test the water to make sure it's ok.

----------------------------
Any chance of a picture and short 20 second video of the fish?
If the pictures are too big for the website, set the camera's resolution to its lowest setting and take some more. The lower resolution will make the images smaller and they should fit on this website. Check the pictures on your pc and find a couple that are clear and show the problem, and post them here. Make sure you turn the camera's resolution back up after you have taken the pics otherwise all your pictures will be small.

If the video is too big for this website, post it on YouTube and copy & paste the link here. We can view it at YouTube. If you are using a mobile phone to take the video, have the phone horizontal so the video takes up the entire screen. If you have the phone vertical, you get video in the middle and black on either side.

----------------------------
Fish do a stringy white poop for several reasons.

1) internal bacterial infection causes the fish to stop eating, swell up like a balloon, breath heavily at surface or near a filter outlet, do stringy white poop, and die within 24-48 hours of showing these symptoms. This cannot normally be cured because massive internal organ failure has already occurred.

2) internal protozoan infection cause the fish to lose weight rapidly (over a week or two), fish continues to eat and swim around but not as much as normal, does stringy white poop. If not treated the fish dies a week or so after these symptoms appear. Metronidazole normally works well for this.

There is a medication (API General Cure) that contains Praziquantel and Metronidazole.

It's interesting that API and the Californian government have listed Metronidazole as a carcinogen. That's a concern considering it was widely used to treat intestinal infections in people.
Anyway, handle with care, don't inhale the medication, and wash hands with soapy water after treating the fish or working in the tank.

3) intestinal worms like tapeworm and threadworms cause the fish to lose weight, continue eating and swimming normally, do a stringy white poop. Fish can do this for months and not be too badly affected. In some cases, fish with bad worm infestation will actually gain weight and get fat and look like a pregnant guppy. This is due to the huge number of worms inside the fish.

You can use Praziquantel to treat tapeworm and gill flukes. And Levamisole to treat thread/ round worms.

Remove carbon from filters before treatment and increase aeration/ surface turbulence to maximise oxygen levels in the water.

You treat the fish once a week for 3-4 weeks. The first treatment will kill any worms in the fish. The second and third treatments kill any baby worms that hatch from eggs inside the fish's digestive tract.

You do a 75% water change and complete gravel clean 24-48 hours after treatment. Clean the filter 24 hours after treatment too.

Treat every fish tank in the house at the same time.

Do not use the 2 medications together. If you want to treat both medications in a short space of time, use Praziquantel on day one. Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate on day 2 & 3. Treat the tank with Levamisole on day 4 and do a 75% water change and gravel clean on day 5, 6 & 7 and then start with Praziquantel again on day 8.

The water changes will remove most of the medication so you don't overdose the fish. The gravel cleaning will suck out any worms and eggs that have been expelled by the fish. Repeating the treatment for 3-4 doses at weekly intervals will kill any worms that hatch from eggs. At the end of the treatment you will have healthier fish. :)

Тhank you for reply's.. I start the smallest aquarium at 11.02.2019. Filtration is a 2 inner filtera 1 with debit 600l/h and 1 with 300l/h fill with sera siporaks.. After i transver the kribs pair i treat with methylen blue 5ml/50l.. I do water changes, every week 20-30% of the all wate. I never make a water parameters test.. I clean up the graver every 2 weeks.. My water from sink is harder this is only one i know.. But to this moment i dont have any problems :)

Methylene Blue can kill filter bacteria so shouldn't be used unless there is a bacterial or fungal infection. However, if you haven't added any since the tank was set up in February, the filters should be fine now.

--------------------------
How do you clean the filters?
You want to wash the filter materials in a bucket of tank water, do not wash them under tap water.

--------------------------
I would do bigger water changes (75%) once a week and gravel clean the substrate any time you do a gravel clean. Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

You do water changes for 2 main reasons.
1) to reduce nutrients like ammonia, nitrite & nitrate.
2) to dilute disease organisms in the water.

Fish live in a soup of microscopic organisms including bacteria, fungus, viruses, protozoans, worms, flukes and various other things that make your skin crawl. Doing a big water change and gravel cleaning the substrate on a regular basis will dilute these organisms and reduce their numbers in the water, thus making it a safer and healthier environment for the fish.

If you do a 25% water change each week you leave behind 75% of the bad stuff in the water.
If you do a 50% water change each week you leave behind 50% of the bad stuff in the water.
If you do a 75% water change each week you leave behind 25% of the bad stuff in the water.

Fish live in their own waste. Their tank and filter is full of fish poop. The water they breath is filtered through fish poop. Cleaning filters, gravel and doing big regular water changes, removes a lot of this poop and makes the environment cleaner and healthier for the fish.

Thank you for lot of infomation you gave me! I will change 75% water. I leave the water 24 ot 48 hours and put in in aquarium! I clean the filter in this way: just rinse the sponge in the bucket with aquarium water!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back