Kribs Laid Eggs!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

fry_forever!

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I came home today to see my female krib in my 39 gallon with a protruding white dot near her anal area. She quickly dashed into a coconut cave nearby, and started laying some eggs! The male was close behind her, fertilizing them. I am really surprised that they bred - they are pretty young, and I only bought them a couple weeks ago. I had some bristlenose plecos in the tank, so I removed them, (Not without some trouble - One almost got the eggs) and now the male krib is guarding the cave while the female tends to the eggs.

It's kind of weird though, I've never had my kribs breed before, so I am new to this, but is it normal for the female to exit the cave often, and for the male to take over the care of the eggs for a couple minutes? I fed my fish (because I also have livebearers and zebra danios in that tank) and the female left the cave to eat from the surface, and the male stayed by the entrance to guard the cave and eggs. Is it normal for the females to exit it the cave from time to time and leave the eggs in care of the male?

Thanks,

f_f!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back